Thread: Dishonest people bum me out

Default Dishonest people bum me out

I was really shocked and bummed out about a week and a half ago. My son and daughter in law were here from Hawaii for two weeks to visit, see the sights and fish. We all love the out of doors so we spent a ton of time doing just that. We set our crab pots one day on the way out to halibut fish. Came back to pick them up and found nothing! I searched for about 30 minutes and found the oldest pot but no where near where we had placed them. The new pots are all gone...I just can't believe that someone would steal my pots, and rob the older one to boot! the doors were open on it and there is no way in hell the doors can open on their own.

I set the pots out at the north end of Eagle Beach. I've never had trouble before. We were in Halibut Cove about 2 months ago set the pots among the other pots ad left to troll and butt fish, came back later in the day to find a skiff with about 4 or 5 people in it (judging a book by the cover they looked very untrustworthy) weaving among the pots. Once they say us they went to shore but did not leave their boat. Sort of just hung out, smoking and drinking beer from the looks of it. I decided to make a big show of pulling the pots then drifting outside of the pots that were set. They eventually pushed off and yelled something at me but I couldn't make it out.

I'm not going to replace the pots for now. If there are pot raiders and pot thieves then I've donated once and I'll not donate again.

Really frustrating...

Not that it helps any but you're not the first I've heard of to experience this in the last week. The others at Eagle Beach as well.

Wonderful, that's where mine are.....or maybe "were". Lost one there last year as well, but it's the closest spot to where I do most my fishing....

I am not suggesting anything about the legality of your pots, BUT the State Troopers have really upped their game in enforcing crab and shrimp pots. They confiscate any pots that are not rigged properly (not enough degradable line, escape rings not sized properly for what they determine you are fishing for, escape rings not in the correct position, bouy not labeled correctly). I am also skeptical about if they drop them back where they pulled them because you can drift a bit when pulling a pot and then check it out for being legal.

Sobie2

Had a new pot vanish from Gastineau Channel a couple weeks back. Before that someone "checked" it for me out N. Douglas.

Lame.

I had someone steal mine years ago, never went back.

Fish and Game called me several years later and told me my buoys had shown up on thier deck that mornig.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by sisusuomi View Post
    I was really shocked and bummed out about a week and a half ago. My son and daughter in law were here from Hawaii for two weeks to visit, see the sights and fish. We all love the out of doors so we spent a ton of time doing just that. We set our crab pots one day on the way out to halibut fish. Came back to pick them up and found nothing! I searched for about 30 minutes and found the oldest pot but no where near where we had placed them. The new pots are all gone...I just can't believe that someone would steal my pots, and rob the older one to boot! the doors were open on it and there is no way in hell the doors can open on their own.

I set the pots out at the north end of Eagle Beach. I've never had trouble before. We were in Halibut Cove about 2 months ago set the pots among the other pots ad left to troll and butt fish, came back later in the day to find a skiff with about 4 or 5 people in it (judging a book by the cover they looked very untrustworthy) weaving among the pots. Once they say us they went to shore but did not leave their boat. Sort of just hung out, smoking and drinking beer from the looks of it. I decided to make a big show of pulling the pots then drifting outside of the pots that were set. They eventually pushed off and yelled something at me but I couldn't make it out.

I'm not going to replace the pots for now. If there are pot raiders and pot thieves then I've donated once and I'll not donate again.

Really frustrating...

How long do you leave your pots? and why can't you just anchor next to them.