Thread: Honda Outboard Smoking--Help!

Question Honda Outboard Smoking--Help!

Hello all!

I recently bought a new 4-stroke 40hp Honda outboard (with a prop). I have only used it 8-10 times. Yesterday I noticed that when I came to a stop in the water (in neutral), there was a lot of gray exhaust coming from the exhaust hole, but eventually stopped as I started driving again. Is this normal? Maybe this has happened before, but I didn't notice??? There is usually some gray smoke, but this seemed like a lot.

Any suggestions what this could be? Or, is this just normal exhaust, and I'm worrying too much? Could it be water in the gas, problem with the oil, ect.?

Thanks for your help!!!

Default Couple f thoughts

1. Check oil level. If it is too full it might be the reason.
    2. The exhaust is through the prop. So sitting, you might get some smoke. Underway, it would go away.

Have had 2 Hondas, excellent motors.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I took it out today, and it seemed to work fine. With the price of motors, I worry about everything with it!

Default water

coulda been water in yer fuel too

Default It's perfectly normal

I am betting you are seeing the fog/condensation that is formed just like a gray exhaust from a car in colder temps or when you open the freezer. Hot metal meets cold air and it blows out the rear port above the water. All of my 4-strokes do this and as long as it's gray and disapears like a cloud, it's normal. If it is blue or black, you have issues. This happens most at idle and when in reverse.

If the problem keeps up try a 70degree C. thermostat. In our could waters the stock therm does not let them warm up enough. I maintain a fleet of 16 outboards 9 of them being hondas. I had the same problem and they were going through about a half quart of oil each every week. It took me and the local dealer some time to pin it down but now that we did no smoke and 0 oil use between changes. If you need the part number I can send it to you.

Woody

Default If I remember

Woody might be on to something. I do remember when running the Yukon at near 30 degree temps a slight smoking problem. It has been a couple of years since I have boated at those temps. For good reason.......

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012