Thread: Copper River Drainage Shore Fishing

Default Copper River Drainage Shore Fishing

I have decided to branch out and transition away from fishing the Kenai Pen. I've been fishing there for the last 6 years and know it extremely well. Time for something new (and to get away from the rude people that I have recently run in to).

I got three off days coming up this weekend and the wife and I want to start exploring the rivers in the Copper River. I know we are late for kings and reds, but this will be our research run. Any suggestions on places to check out this weekend? Places to avoid? Try a new river every day or stick put at one? All I know is what I have read.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Bummer on the zero responses... Guess we will just drive a bunch and check everything out. We will start earlier next year

Not sure if you can catch anything now but I like fishing the gulkana River and I've always wanted to try the klutina River for salmon. On a side note you can always catch pretty big grayling in the gulkana, I like fishing right past Paxson Lodge on the start of the Denali highway off the Richardson.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

iusc . . . It's a good time to be hitting the Klutina. Reds are still strong in the copper and heading to the Klutina and Gulkana. Can still keep Kings on the Klutina, I believe. I've ATVd from O-Brien creek (Chitina) to the rock slide a couple hundred yards from Haley creek. Hike down and fish the clear water for silvers and reds. There may be dollies or 'bows in there too, but read the regs carefully . . . don't believe you can keep those. In any event, enjoy the trip!

Thank you for a starter place to check out you two! We are headed out tomorrow.