Thread: Hey Brian - how often do you see someone catch one of these on rod & reel?

Default Hey Brian - how often do you see someone catch one of these on rod & reel?

The local fish & game office here in Ketchikan identified it as a short spine thornyhead. Looks like a new Alaska rod & reel record!

(yes, I got a photo of the weight on a certified scale)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a sculpin bred with a yelloweye!

1) How deep?
    2) How did it taste?

Thanks,

Big_E

Excellent!!! We get those while chasing sablefish, but judging by the depths we catch them at, that is a serious accomplishment for a rod and reel fisherman! Were you using an electric reel? Depth? Bait? Details, man...details!

omg any fish looks better than an aggie !

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Excellent!!! We get those while chasing sablefish, but judging by the depths we catch them at, that is a serious accomplishment for a rod and reel fisherman! Were you using an electric reel? Depth? Bait? Details, man...details!
    Behm Canal, approx 1,400 feet deep on mud bottom drifting for sablefish (caught three of them on that day). 2 hook deep drop rig, 3 lb sinker, on a Shimano TLD 30 2 speed, 80# braid & xtra heavy ugly stik tiger lite jigging rod. Bait was just salmon belly pieces.

No electric that day, although I did break out the Daiwa Tanacom 750 the next day & pulled up a sleeper shark. Those are just ... well, wow is the only word I have for those brutes.

My hat's off to you ...for the cool catch and how deep you dredged it up from. Whew! Congrats on the Sablefish, too. Any size to them? 10-15#...or bigger?

i still have 45 or so days to go before I get up there.

Here's my funky sculpin.....they call this version of the Great Sculpin a ' Tammy Faye Baker'...after the preacher Jim's wife.

All dolled up with make up caked on and nowhere to go.

Thanks for sharing the Thornyhead with us. One nickname for them is Idiot or Idiotfish...don't know why...unless it's the big eyed dumb expression on its mug.

Well now, caught another 'different' fish yesterday. I'm 99% confident that this is a rougheye, but I've sent detailed photos to the local biologist office for confirmation. This was in 1,100 feet near Carroll point.

Well, my thornyhead is now a pending IGFA all tackle record - just have to wait for them to certify the catch!