Thread: Chitina report

Default Chitina report

How is fishing at Chitina right now? thanks. john

It's great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody ever went dip netting in chitina this late in the year ..thinking about heading down and trying my luck ?

Went down last Thurs the 13th. Caught a fish an average of one every seven min. Fish in all sizes and in good condition. No silvers

Hopefully still that good ..silvers will be a plus ..always needing some copper river reds ..thanks for the update

Anybody go to chitina on Labor Day weekend or aNY time lately. ...last report I got sunday before last dipping was slow no silvers yet ...the commercial boats have been catching them. ..so i would think they should be at chitina by now.... although I think some of the commercial harvest is delta fish

well it's been a pretty good season....I had some wonderful trips...i even caught a bunch of fish. ...I vacuum packed some for the freezer....they will be eaten first ....i froze dome in water. ...they last alot longer ....i froze an vacuum packed some smoked fish ....an I had a friend smoke an can a bunch of fish. ..an he kept half of the fish. ..but the biggest amount I canned unsmoked...because the canned fish easily lasts more than a year ....an by eating the frozen fish first mostly ....i never an I mean never have wasted any fish at the end of the year....i also take care of my friends with fresh fish ....an a few elders. ...i don't buy meat in stores ....an I don't hunt much ...my protein comes from fish. ..it's interesting to read posts stating if anyone is catching over a certain small number of fish that they surely must be throwing fish in the dumpster at the start of each new season. ...they must be talking about their experience. ...its not mine.... i feel the reason subsistence limits are so high is because it's rooted in a tradition of sharing. ...the kostina river changing channels made fishing really difficult. ..i had to walk way up river to find a safe enough place to cross. ..i didn't want to carry more than 15 fish back because of the distance. ...alot of my success this year I owe to friends who took me out in their boats. .....i especially am appreciative of my fishwheel friend kermit..who I have known for years we worked together an played on a basketball team....whenever I was thinking about making a trip to Chitina I would call or text him ...he would tell me how the wheels were doing...what the weather was like ...how high or low the water was ....an if he knew how dippers from shore were doing around the fishwheels. ...he was forced to get a boat to get to his wheel. ..because of the kostina river. ..he got a 16 foot boat with a 30 horse prop....he was very generous in giving me rides above the fishwheels to my favorite sweeping beach....every time it was the same story ...he would ask me what time I wanted a ride ...i would say when are you checking your wheel. ...he would say it doesn't matter. ..just tell me what time do you want to go....when he let me off. ..it was what time do you want to be picked up....he didn't want any fish as payment. ..an would not take any money for gas ....he had all the fish an money he needed. ...he said he would think of something latter. ...well latter won't come because my friend drowned a couple weeks ago....it was a couple days after my last trip. ...I've tried to piece the story together ...i never felt very safe in the boat... I'm not sure if he had a life jacket on ....so what seemed to have happened was ....there were 3 people in the boat when he was bringing the boat into shore to check his fishwheel. ..the current caught it an sunk the boat ...according to the police report. ....they never found kermit ....the other 2 were picked up off a sandbar...by a helicopter ....

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    ...i especially am appreciative of my fishwheel friend kermit..who I have known for years we worked together an played on a basketball team....whenever I was thinking about making a trip to Chitina I would call or text him ...he would tell me how the wheels were doing...what the weather was like ...how high or low the water was ....an if he knew how dippers from shore were doing around the fishwheels. ...he was forced to get a boat to get to his wheel. ..because of the kostina river. ..he got a 16 foot boat with a 30 horse prop....he was very generous in giving me rides above the fishwheels to my favorite sweeping beach....every time it was the same story ...he would ask me what time I wanted a ride ...i would say when are you checking your wheel. ...he would say it doesn't matter. ..just tell me what time do you want to go....when he let me off. ..it was what time do you want to be picked up....he didn't want any fish as payment. ..an would not take any money for gas ....he had all the fish an money he needed. ...he said he would think of something latter. ...well latter won't come because my friend drowned a couple weeks ago....it was a couple days after my last trip.
    His body was found 25 miles downriver...http://www.adn.com/article/20151002/...-found-hunters still had the life jacket on. Very sorry...

crap. sorry to hear. i fell in two years ago, and that could have been me.

Default Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    well it's been a pretty good season....I had some wonderful trips...i even caught a bunch of fish. ...I vacuum packed some for the freezer....they will be eaten first ....i froze dome in water. ...they last alot longer ....i froze an vacuum packed some smoked fish ....an I had a friend smoke an can a bunch of fish. ..an he kept half of the fish. ..but the biggest amount I canned unsmoked...because the canned fish easily lasts more than a year ....an by eating the frozen fish first mostly ....i never an I mean never have wasted any fish at the end of the year....i also take care of my friends with fresh fish ....an a few elders. ...i don't buy meat in stores ....an I don't hunt much ...my protein comes from fish. ..it's interesting to read posts stating if anyone is catching over a certain small number of fish that they surely must be throwing fish in the dumpster at the start of each new season. ...they must be talking about their experience. ...its not mine.... i feel the reason subsistence limits are so high is because it's rooted in a tradition of sharing. ...the kostina river changing channels made fishing really difficult. ..i had to walk way up river to find a safe enough place to cross. ..i didn't want to carry more than 15 fish back because of the distance. ...alot of my success this year I owe to friends who took me out in their boats. .....i especially am appreciative of my fishwheel friend kermit..who I have known for years we worked together an played on a basketball team....whenever I was thinking about making a trip to Chitina I would call or text him ...he would tell me how the wheels were doing...what the weather was like ...how high or low the water was ....an if he knew how dippers from shore were doing around the fishwheels. ...he was forced to get a boat to get to his wheel. ..because of the kostina river. ..he got a 16 foot boat with a 30 horse prop....he was very generous in giving me rides above the fishwheels to my favorite sweeping beach....every time it was the same story ...he would ask me what time I wanted a ride ...i would say when are you checking your wheel. ...he would say it doesn't matter. ..just tell me what time do you want to go....when he let me off. ..it was what time do you want to be picked up....he didn't want any fish as payment. ..an would not take any money for gas ....he had all the fish an money he needed. ...he said he would think of something latter. ...well latter won't come because my friend drowned a couple weeks ago....it was a couple days after my last trip. ...I've tried to piece the story together ...i never felt very safe in the boat... I'm not sure if he had a life jacket on ....so what seemed to have happened was ....there were 3 people in the boat when he was bringing the boat into shore to check his fishwheel. ..the current caught it an sunk the boat ...according to the police report. ....they never found kermit ....the other 2 were picked up off a sandbar...by a helicopter ....
    Kermit was a good man. He has been a family friend for more years than I could count. I unfortunately heard about the accident from one of our other friends in the boat. His loss really hits close to home for many people.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY