Thread: Deer Hunting

Default Deer Hunting

This will be my first year deer hunting in Alaska. I have harvested many white tails in my hometown just outside Buffalo, NY. I would like to know where an easier hunt would be close to Anchorage. Is there good hunting in Whittier? And also any tips for gear or areas would be appreciated.

There can be decent to good hunting out of Whittier, but a boat or airplane are necessary to reach the deer, as they are found on the islands of Prince William Sound. There are no road accessible deer for the walk-in hunter, with the highly unlikely exception of the rare straggler near Whittier or Valdez. A boat drop-off is your best shot, and the further islands are generally better.

We have a boat that use for Halibut fishing out of Prince William. Any specific islands you would recommend Brian?

Default Deer Hunting

I'm no expert on deer hunting the Sound, but the general consensus is the further the better. Close islands like Perry and Culross have a few, I've heard Naked and Knight are a bit better, and Green, Hinchinbrook, and Montegue better still. This is mostly based on what I've read over the years, though. Also, note that there was a pretty significant population drop a couple years back due to a rough winter, but numbers should be recovering somewhat.

Thank you very much I will keep those in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by vitopure21 View Post
    I would like to know where an easier hunt would be close to Anchorage.
    The biggest problem your going to encounter is the biggest population center in the state all has the same question!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esther island has a fair amount of deer. I usually see a few every year while gillnetting there. Also the mainland near Squaw Bay just across south Esther Passage has a fair amount of deer. One of the biggest bucks I've ever seen from the Sound was taken on the ridge on the east side of Unakwik by an employee of the hatchery there. Years ago there was a very nice buck seen by gillnetters for a couple summers near Golden. There are deer on the mainland, but they are more susceptible to bad winters and predators. There are pockets with a fair amount of deer tho.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett