Thread: What's missing from this red?

Default What's missing from this red?

Well, i got to the bottom of the cooler, and this was what I found! Never seen this before...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting. I don't recall seeing a red missing pelvic fins either. Doesn't even appear to be bumps or scars or any indication they were ever there. If they were clipped, would there not be some subtle evidence of it? I'm interested to hear the experts chime in about it. Strange...

Have caught 100+ dipping about three years ago, and had one with a heart, small liver, & a straight-thru GI tract. No sperm sacks, or roe, just Packed FULL of this whitish spaghetti stuff. Must have been some kind of worms... Meat was ok though. Never saw one without pelvic fins though-interesting!!

Wow, that is weird. I suspect it is just some genetic abnormality. People are born with extra fingers and toes all the time. We just don't normally see it because they are removed from birth. My guess is that it is just a genetic abnormality. But very interesting and very cool. Thanks for sharing the pic.

The tapeworms are bad this year......

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Well, i got to the bottom of the cooler, and this was what I found! Never seen this before...
    THose look small. Kasilof reds?

We caught a lot of late Russian or maybe hidden lake sockeye while fishing the lower kenai Saturday. The kenai slabs didn't start showing up in numbers till Sunday AM

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Never seen that before, but I caught on on Kasilof that had a head that extended waaaay back into the body. I had to re-start my fillet 3 times to get it back far enough.

Fish are just funny like that. You get millions and millions of opportunities for a genetic outlier, and they are protected by merit of living in a school of fish. It just happens.

I didn't think the worms were bad this year at all. I did throw out half of one fillet because it was completely covered with them but that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    I didn't think the worms were bad this year at all. I did throw out half of one fillet because it was completely covered with them but that was it.
    FISH WASTER!!!

Fukushima?
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

I caught one this weekend that was missing one pelvic fin.......strange

It was a fish creek red; pretty average size for there. This was definitely a genetic anomaly and not an injury, as there was no support structure for the fins inside. It made the filleting much easier; normally I cut out the pec fins first then fillet. Didn't need to do that with this fish! Sent some pics to the local fish bios just for fun.

A smoked belly with no cartilage? That sounds awesome!