Thread: linen outdoorsy pants?

Default linen outdoorsy pants?

Does anyone make the cargo/BDU/whatever type trouser pattern in linen? I'd like to find something that's warmer than cotton when wet, but also doesn't feel like wearing a grocery bag or can get all melty like some modern synthetics. And I just plain prefer natural fabrics when possible.

I've tried asking up at the Army/Navy in Anchorage, and even emailed the makeyourownjeans.com, to a "never seen 'em" and no answer respectively, so if y'all know better I'd sure appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Isn't "linen" just another name for thin cotton?

There are some synthetics, especially the microfiber types, that have more of a soft cotton feel but still dry fast.

Linen is a fabric made from the flax plant. Most folk just know it from being all pressed into suits and such, but in its natural state it's a wonderful fabric, kinda like a soft nubbly cotton. It used to be much more common before the cotton gin and all, and the historical reenactors still use it a lot.

Honestly it strikes me as a much smarter fabric to use for outdoor clothes than all the cotton-blends I see, I can't for the life of me think why it isn't more common.

I have these Danskin pants that I really like.
    I also have some North Face Xtreme pants that do really well, too... but they are not cotton like at all.
    Lurker.

Thumbs up Army issue dress pants, don't laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Does anyone make the cargo/BDU/whatever type trouser pattern in linen? I'd like to find something that's warmer than cotton when wet, but also doesn't feel like wearing a grocery bag or can get all melty like some modern synthetics. And I just plain prefer natural fabrics when possible.

I've tried asking up at the Army/Navy in Anchorage, and even emailed the makeyourownjeans.com, to a "never seen 'em" and no answer respectively, so if y'all know better I'd sure appreciate the advice.

Thanks!
    For the last few years I have been wearing the Army issue green pants/slacks that are actually the uniform dress pants, they have the nice permanent crease and everything! They are 60% polyester and 40% wool and a fairly tight weave but are not thick and bulky like typical wool pants. I like they way they are cut, they just fit good. They do not restrict movement at all. They have some kind of rubbery stitching around the inside belt area that helps keep them from sliding down also. Makes a difference when hauling a heavy pack. I wore them on a 50 mile 12 day walking sheep hunt last year. Warm when wet, not too heavy and dry pretty quick since they are a poly/wool blend. Oh, and they are 6 bucks a pair at Value Village!

You may be on to something there. That price is hard to beat, and they come in green!

Tim

Talking Cheap but effective!!

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    You may be on to something there. That price is hard to beat, and they come in green!

Tim
    Here, I'll model them for you...

Smile

12 days in sheep country and you still have a crease left! I may give those a try. I used to always hunt in wool and have since converted mostly to synthetics. Those may be a reasonable and useful alternative. Synthetic pants aren't cheap! Apparently old army issue dress greens are! Wish mine still fit.

Tim

I used to always hunt in wool also. The old swedish army pants or whatever they were with the button fly and cargo pockets. I still have a couple pair. Some heavy ones and some lighter weight ones. They are great for still hunting in the woods in November in Montana in the snow. Warm and quiet. But, for wet september moose hunting or wet sheep hunting you need a wall tent and wood stove to dry them out and they weigh a ton when soaked! I do have a couple wool blend shirts though. I kind of like the wool blend. Acrylic or poly and wool. I think with the wool they are warmer when wet but since they are a blend (60/40 or 80/20) mostly synthetic they dry pretty fast.

Default Nomex BDUs

The Army issues nomex BDUs to aviators. THey are lightweight, tough as nails, and dry quickly.
    You also might try the green pants that wildland firefighters wear. They are cool too.
    I paid $15 for the pair I have now. I will probably hunt in them for 20 years.