Thread: Early black bears?

Default Early black bears?

It doesn't seem like there is too much interest in black bear hunting super early in the fall (first couple weeks in August) but I'm curious if they are generally fairly active above treeline eating berries and other groceries the first week or 2 in August above treeline? With salmon still available I imagine some may still be down on the water-ways. I imagine hair is also super short at that time?

Black Bears in the fall are a consolation harvest when the primary objective of the hunt is not found at a quality level to justify harvesting. Black Bear is open to hunt all year, NO closed season. Hides a poor in August, and this year as hot as it has been, hide are especially poor. End of September or early October better hides.

Everyone is too busy chasing sheep that time of year!

That said... I will be chasing black bears about the 3rd week of august this year for a few days. I will keep the meat and get the hide tanned, wont be rug quality during that time, but will be nice to hang on the wall as a tanned hide, and much cheaper than a rug.

Quote Originally Posted by huntfishtrap247 View Post
    Everyone is too busy chasing sheep that time of year!

That said... I will be chasing black bears about the 3rd week of august this year for a few days. I will keep the meat and get the hide tanned, wont be rug quality during that time, but will be nice to hang on the wall as a tanned hide, and much cheaper than a rug.
    I will be up first week of Sept. to hunt Black Bear. I'm thinking the same thing for the hide. Just have it tanned and hang it up. Any idea of approx. cost?

Sorry for hijacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineered2Hunt View Post
    I will be up first week of Sept. to hunt Black Bear. I'm thinking the same thing for the hide. Just have it tanned and hang it up. Any idea of approx. cost?

Sorry for hijacking.
    Had a 6'4" blackie tanned a couple years ago. I do believe it was $375.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yeah- figure $50 to $60 a foot to get tanned.

I killed a bear in early august while accompanying a friend on a killey river caribou hunt. Maybe August 12. Opportunity harvest while waiting on a flight out. Short hair but excellent eating. The bear was munching on berries above brush line.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I tanned my own with a $40 kit from Sportsmans. There are probably better options out there, protaxidermy had some recommendations.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

After looking at pics online, How do they get the rugs to turn out so nice along the edges but the tanned hides I have seen look like a 40 year old hookers meat curtains?

Is it just a matter of trimming?