Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Su silvers

Default Little Su silvers

How/when do I fish for silvers in the Little Su? Tried to catch a couple silvers at the Little Su yesterday but had no luck except for some chums. I used pixies and vibraxes but no luck. Is it early or is there a special way or time to fish for them.

Went with the kiddo a few days back so made it hard she's prety young. I can say not bad fishing but not yet hot on silvers. I'm going to go in the am so we will see tomarow.

Try early in the morning. Like 6am or earlier. Until August 6th, when bait goes into affect the lures to use are the small Pixies or #3-4 vibrax. Color sometimes makes a difference but early morning is the key. Coho's are spooky fish. Once daylight hits the water and activity starts on the river the bite goes off, at least that has been my experience. They also tend to move at this time and at night while holding up during the day under over hanging brush if available. Water temp and level make a difference. If the water is low and warm they tend to sit still but once it rains and water temp goes down and level goes up they will move.

Its been my experience that using hardware is my go to choice for frsh water silver fishing. Larger the better spinner seems to always work for me. I have used every brand you can think of and yes they all catch fish. I am partial to Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle GI skirted spinner in size 6 or 5. I believe the colorful skirt helps attract a bite. I would try casting them, letting them sink and roll in the curent before you begin a retrieve. Slow rolling the lure to allow it to stay deep and slow, alternating a pause on the draw, to allow the lure to float downward in the water periodically when reeling it in. I am not an expert but I do catch a few coho every year (i have even trolled large in-line spinners in the salt next to bait and out fished the bait)

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I went out Saturday night and caught two silvers. They are still in the water somewhere.

How's the water level for launching & boating on the Lil' Su?
    The Fish Counts page has shown "Water Level 0" for a while.

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Shouldn't have any problems, it's the rest of the river you'll need to be careful. Water probably up a little since it has rained

Thank you for the replies. i will probably try sometime in the next week.

Now is a great time and I prefer vibrex. Find a nice hole and should do great. 3 of us went yesterday a good ways up river all managed a silver and the rest of our limit in reds in about 2 hours. We found a hole with a little bit of clean run off and we fished the muddy water line.

Counts have been strong the last week, both silvers and chums- anyone take advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be there Sunday, and let you know.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    I'll be there Sunday, and let you know.
    Going Saturday. On foot. Gonna give it a go........ only fished it once and that was 2 weeks ago. Caught a brighty chummus. 1 of only 3 fish reported caught that day by ADF&G booth.

Release Lake Trout

We were there this morning. It should have been hot and heavy since we were on the water by 0530 but we definitely had to work for our six fish. I think the bluebird weather is the biggest problem. We need some overcast weather to help cool things down. Not a lot of rollers and we never found a hole that produced more than one or two silvers, we did a lot of "hunting".
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by alexl View Post
    How/when do I fish for silvers in the Little Su? Tried to catch a couple silvers at the Little Su yesterday but had no luck except for some chums. I used pixies and vibraxes but no luck. Is it early or is there a special way or time to fish for them.
    This should help matters along with the start of bait on August 6th.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2162
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Well, did anyone take advantage of the bait opener and additional limit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 yesterday and 15 today. No problems limiting out.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    21 yesterday and 15 today. No problems limiting out.

I don't have a boat but was thinking of taking the wife and kids for a little hike out there somewhere. If we went to Burma, is there decent fishing on foot within the area? Or some other area that would work better?

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    I don't have a boat but was thinking of taking the wife and kids for a little hike out there somewhere. If we went to Burma, is there decent fishing on foot within the area? Or some other area that would work better?
    Plenty of good fishing within walking distance. If you are up for about a mile hike, park just past the gate at the My Creek trailhead and go in there. It's an easy trail and will get you to a really nice hole with little competition.

Lots of fish in the river, we picked up 15 more today.
    AKmud

Do you hike up river or down river?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I'm running a boat but there is good fishing either direction from the landing. You will have more foot traffic competition downstream than up.
    AKmud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast