Thread: Need help

Default Need help

Hey guys my wife finished her basic course and can now hunt. i'm looking for a place to take her caribou hunting that's maybe just a few hours from the anchorage area and need some ideas that might have a decent success rate. Don't want to drive all the way to galbreth. we have kids and can only get a couple a days to do it together. I will obviously do what ever leg work to scout but being in the army my time to get out is limited and was deployed until just a couple weeks ago so I'm running late. any help would be greatly appreciated I don't expect a specific spot guys just some areas to check out.

i may be mistaken, but without a permit (draw or tier) there is nowhere 'just a few hours' from anchorage assuming you mean driving, where you can hunt caribou. you could hop on a commercial flight to Kotzebue in a few hours and probably find caribou?
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Carl is correct - what you're asking for basically doesn't exist. The closest thing would be the 40 Mile herd registration hunt, but that's certainly more than a few hours from Anchorage. In November you can apply for a Tier I or drawing permit for Nelchina caribou for next year - that's an excellent option, but one that isn't available to you this year.

Unless I am missing something I did not see where he said his wife did not have a permit, did I miss something?

Dwight

If she had a permit. It would clearly state on the PERMIT where she could hunt. Let's think outside the box shall we
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Sorry I do not like to guess I will leave that up to to you, I am more of a I need a clear picture.

best

No caribou hunts close to anchorage unless like others have stated you drew a permit for the Kenai herd, or nelchina herd. However there is a lot of good moose hunting close by. If you can't get away to hunt caribou this would be a good time to get out and start scouting for moose.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by wmski View Post
    i'm looking for a place to take her caribou hunting that's maybe just a few hours from the anchorage area and need some ideas that might have a decent success rate. Don't want to drive all the way to galbreth.
    hunter1951:
    This would indicate to me that nobody has a caribou permit..

Back to what Brian said... Those are the options right now...

Default update

ok well hey any body know a good moose area then im willing to drive her to like glen allen area but she doesn't want to go crazy far. so she can hunt instead of drive. my buddy got one just past plamer last year but like I said I aint had time to get out yet But I will like just having a general idea so I am not just walking on someones property.

Based on your time and description of her desire I suspect you'd be much better off taking her small game hunting. Hates should be trending up soon and a few grouse are usually around if you get off well traveled trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not just take her hunting, and enjoy the hunt. Teaching someone to enjoy the time outdoors is well worth it. Don't go far, start easy and make it fun.. and she may come to love hunting with ya....