Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EO King salmon

Default EO King salmon

EO that allows ONE king salmon per HOUSEHOLD, beginning tomorrow (07/25).

Umm, where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Umm, where?

On the ADF&G EO page. Direct link to EO here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2150

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Dumbest idea ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Dumbest idea ever!
    How you figure?

Sorry, on the Kenai river.

Nothing but a thinly veiled bone thrown to the sporties so the comm guys get the 36 hour limit removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Nothing but a thinly veiled bone thrown to the sporties so the comm guys get the 36 hour limit removed.
    Truth!! This was my first thought when I heard this this morning. They've got a pretty good run of reds finally about to hit the rivers and they're gonna need help stopping a few, espeically into the Kasilof, so I think this was their best option. Otherwise, the ESSN only had 10 hours available to them tomorrow. Now they will likely fish them from 7 AM to 11 PM. That's just my somewhat educated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    On the ADF&G EO page. Direct link to EO here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2150
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    Truth!! This was my first thought when I heard this this morning. They've got a pretty good run of reds finally about to hit the rivers and they're gonna need help stopping a few, espeically into the Kasilof, so I think this was their best option. Otherwise, the ESSN only had 10 hours available to them tomorrow. Now they will likely fish them from 7 AM to 11 PM. That's just my somewhat educated guess.
    Well, I was close. The EO for tomorrow is already out and the commies get to fish from 7 AM to 9 PM.

You need to read the management plan. There is nothing in it that requires ADFG to allow the use of bait, or retention of Kings in the Kenai PU fishery, for them to fish the commercial nets more than 36 hours if inriver King projections are above 22,500. The plan merely requires them to restrict everyone if the projection is below. The projections have been above 22,500 kings all month. ADFG maintains that in managing for a LR King goal of 15,000-30,000, this run can handle the extra fishing pressure. They chose to make the changes at the same time, but were not required to.

Don't blame your ability to keep a King salmon on commercial fishermen. If you have a problem with it, submit a proposal banning the retention of King salmon in the PU fishery. Heck, while you're at it, submit a proposal to make no bait the default regulation for King fishing on the Kenai if you are worried. There are plenty of people catching without bait.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    You need to read the management plan. There is nothing in it that requires ADFG to allow the use of bait, or retention of Kings in the Kenai PU fishery, for them to fish the commercial nets more than 36 hours if inriver King projections are above 22,500. The plan merely requires them to restrict everyone if the projection is below. The projections have been above 22,500 kings all month. ADFG maintains that in managing for a LR King goal of 15,000-30,000, this run can handle the extra fishing pressure. They chose to make the changes at the same time, but were not required to.

Don't blame your ability to keep a King salmon on commercial fishermen. If you have a problem with it, submit a proposal banning the retention of King salmon in the PU fishery. Heck, while you're at it, submit a proposal to make no bait the default regulation for King fishing on the Kenai if you are worried. There are plenty of people catching without bait.
    I don't agree with lifting the bait restriction. Like you say, plenty of folks are catching them without it.
    Just because we will probably make the bottom end of the escapement doesn't justify the action.

IMO as long as PU fishermen are banned from keeping a king, so should the commercial folks. If that means the set nets are shut down, oh well. I have as much of a right to keeping a king as any commercial guy. Either everybody has the same opportunity or nobody does.

Whether you like it or not, the attitude about commercial fishing is changing. You have over a hundred thousand users that are not commercial fishermen wanting their share. The days of gobbling up the resource and leaving scraps to the non commercial folks is coming to a very rapid end. There are only going to be more non commercial folks looking for their share and the commercial interests will either learn to adapt or they will perish (ala the set net ban in the works).

It's a piss poor management plan.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    It's a piss poor management plan.
    I happen to think so too. Thank your Kenai/Anchorage and Valley sportfishing reps for jamming that one through.

I don't agree with lifting the bait restriction. Like you say, plenty of folks are catching them without it.
    Just because we will probably make the bottom end of the escapement doesn't justify the action.

IMO as long as PU fishermen are banned from keeping a king, so should the commercial folks. If that means the set nets are shut down, oh well. I have as much of a right to keeping a king as any commercial guy. Either everybody has the same opportunity or nobody does.

Whether you like it or not, the attitude about commercial fishing is changing. You have over a hundred thousand users that are not commercial fishermen wanting their share. The days of gobbling up the resource and leaving scraps to the non commercial folks is coming to a very rapid end. There are only going to be more non commercial folks looking for their share and the commercial interests will either learn to adapt or they will perish (ala the set net ban in the works).
    We are projected to make the middle of the King goal at least, which is statistically very good.

You want to dipnet kings. Whatever. I'd rather have a higher sport limit than be able to dipnet them, but they are fun no matter how we catch them.

You think the attitude is changing. That's fine, I won't sidetrack with a disagreement. I think a lot of Alaskans commercial fish, and have lots of friends, family, and neighbors who support them. Like my neighbors - sportsfishermen, guides, and dipnetters who have all been knee-deep in fish this summer, and support diverse fisheries.

You say hundreds of thousands of Alaskans want "their share". Ok, have it. P.U. fishing has been open for over a month on the Peninsula. Perhaps plenty of people have not made it down and filled their freezer, but I've been reading the daily reports and have lots of friends who dip. Anyone who has made half an effort has a decently full freezer by now. Those who haven't have another week that will undoubtedly provide severl tides of UNBELIEVABLE dipnetting. The hardest part will be laying off the sauce enough to get into the water by 6am and FISH! That is what I hope to be doing. Best of luck to you.

If you don' make it down in the next week, get your silver gear ready. I've heard rumors of indications of a good silver run. Isn't the limit on the Sue 5 kings a day now?

If you don' make it down in the next week, get your silver gear ready. I've heard rumors of indications of a good silver run. Isn't the limit on the Sue 5 kings a day now?

Big Su drainage has been 2 silvers for quite a few years now. Not worth the time if you have to drive any distance IMO.

Arcticwildman - your attitude remains me of a saying - If a person tries to discuss rationale thoughts with a person who is not rationale it is like trying to feed medicine to a dead person. Just having some fun with you Arcticwildman.

All the fisheries in UCI have a long history and one should understand that history before making judgements. The Board of Fish has spent thousands of hours making the plans and yes they are cumbersome and sometimes not used correctly but overall they work pretty well. They are the product of ADF&G, the public, State troopers, Board of Fish members, and even the Legislature and courts. So when you said if the PU cannot keep a king but the commercial guys can there is a reason. It has to do with how the PU fishery was set up and the targeted species - sockeye. Also, it recognized that sockeye management is critical to Alaskans. Just think if the sockeye runs were down on the Kenai to the 60 levels - less than 1 million fish for a number of years. It is in everyone's best interests to keep all stocks healthy and to recognize that each user group has a right to exist. The PU fishery was designed to take no than 80,000 sockeye - today it takes 500,000. I think the Board has recognized that user group and treated them well.

That's the catch Nerka...the paradigm has changed but nobody wants to admit it. What was once mainly a commercial fishery has evolved into what it is now. The sport and PU fishery is only going to continue to grow and the collective demand by both groups will eventually become the primary management consideration. Is it fair to those who have fished commercially for years before the circus we have now? No, but just like I would like to see the valley return to what it was in the 80's before all the folks from Anchorage moved out here, you can't stop growth and change.

In the immortal words of The Kingston Trio, a folk music group of the late 1950's and early '60s for you younguns, " The whole world is festering with unhappy souls, the French hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Poles, Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch -- and I don't like anybody very much."

Quit arguing and go catch one.

Big Su drainage has been 2 silvers for quite a few years now. Not worth the time if you have to drive any distance IMO.
    I was talking about kings. And I should have said seasonal limits, both in reference to Kenai and Susitna. Yes, on the Deshka and Little Sue, anglers can keep 5 Kings per year. Here on the Kenai, we can only keep 2 per year, yet you wish to stack them in your freezer rather than the very abundant sockeye swimming into your dipnet. The only requirement is that you put your dipnet in the water at the right time to catch the sockeye - they will be there. Anytime in the last month on two different rivers within a few miles of each other. That's all. It's S-U-P-E-R easy.

As far as driving for Silvers, I have no problem making a 1.5 to 2-hour drive to fish for a daily bag of 2 silvers a piece in the Salt Water. I don't know of a much better way to spend a day. One time when I was a kid I dipnetted an 18# silver out of K-bay with a landing net while halibut fishing. Threw it back of course...

Sounds like you have pretty high catch-to-effort standards, man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast