Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EO'S Kenai/Kasilof

Default EO'S Kenai/Kasilof

EO To allow bait on the Kenai, and Bait & Multiple hooks on the Kasilof. Additionally, retaining a King while dip netting. Crazy, I hope this is a positive sign for the future. F&G idea of trying to fix tension between sport fishing guides? I would like to see the entire thing closed for a few years, then assess. Thoughts?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2151

It isn't being done out of consideration for the sport fishing folks, it's being done so they can let the commercial guys fish more. As long as the no bait rule is in effect the commercial folks can only fish 36 hours per week. This EO lifts the 36 hour restriction. Watch and see how many hours they fish now....

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    It isn't being done out of consideration for the sport fishing folks, it's being done so they can let the commercial guys fish more. As long as the no bait rule is in effect the commercial folks can only fish 36 hours per week. This EO lifts the 36 hour restriction. Watch and see how many hours they fish now....
    With the restriction lifted, they now get their Mon/Thurs 7 AM to 7 PM back. They also get up to 51 hours more per week by EO. They have to have a 24 hour window in there sometime between Sunday and Wednesday, and they also have to have a 36 hour window from the time they close on Thursday evening until Saturday morning. Which basically means, if you figure 7 days a week times 18 hours of daylight, thats 126 hours of daylight per week. Up to 75 of those hours are commercial fish hours. And of the 60 hours of closed commercial fishing(which doesn't apply to the Kasilof River Special Harvest Area, or the Kasilof District when they restrict them to 600 feet or 1/2 mile of the mean high tide mark), only 42 of those are "guaranteed" to be during daylight hours.

I've found that when you are in a hole, it's often times best to stop digging.

YMMV
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    I've found that when you are in a hole, it's often times best to stop digging.

YMMV
    Could you stop by and tell my son that? I can't get the shovel out of his hand when it comes to him lying to me.

Holy crap what a piss poor decision. By even the most generous estimates the kings are barely going to hit their escapement goal. What a solid plan to let the comm fleet completely destroy whats left of the run. Its like F&G is trying to kill them off and the comm fleet is happy to oblige and line their pockets while doing so. I want to be mad but Im tired of being blown away by the dumb assery every year. How many more letters and meetings can people go to and say stop to F&G before they listen and wise up?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I caught so many reds I don't even care anymore. If you can't catch reds today then ur smelly

Fisheries management up here is a joke. Allowing bait and dippers to retain kings? Seriously? I thought we were in the middle of a king-crisis here.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_russ View Post
    I would like to see the entire thing closed for a few years, then assess.
    Don't feel alone....

This just takes the cake. It's all political boys.......and the fish are paying the price.

Sad, sad, sad.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_russ View Post
    EO To allow bait on the Kenai, and Bait & Multiple hooks on the Kasilof. Additionally, retaining a King while dip netting. Crazy, I hope this is a positive sign for the future. F&G idea of trying to fix tension between sport fishing guides? I would like to see the entire thing closed for a few years. Them asses.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2151
    I fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I fixed it for you.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I saw one king yesterday get returned while dipping. That's the only one I have seen dipped on the beach. Do they run more in the middle of the river and the boat dippers have better chances at them? Wouldn't keep one any ways was just curious.

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    I saw one king yesterday get returned while dipping. That's the only one I have seen dipped on the beach. Do they run more in the middle of the river and the boat dippers have better chances at them? Wouldn't keep one any ways was just curious.

Sent while partying
    That's been my experience. In approximately 10 times dipping the beach and another 5 from boats, I've only seen two kings caught from the beach but several from boats.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Fisheries management up here is a joke. Allowing bait and dippers to retain kings? Seriously? I thought we were in the middle of a king-crisis here.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

if they're going to close it, unfortunately it is going to take more than just a few years to rebound. This same thing happened in the 70's or 80's, I forget which now, for the same reasons!

Remember this, its a 3-5 year return, plus the year in fresh water as smolts. so 4-6 year returns on average, rinse and repeat (adjust appropriately for said river systems). How many cycles do we need to run before we build numbers? 3 years is not enough! I agree 100% with the idea, but the thought is skewed by a passion that supersedes reality of the runs! Than their is the issue of the constitution and its objective with fish management.

Lastly by closing completely what does it do to fix the OTHER issues that are the more appropriate and more abrupt issue at hand as far as overall (state wide) health of the run populations?!?! The answer......absolutely nothing! You had better at a minimum, stop the troll fleet, as well as the Pollack fleet in their entirety as well! You can throw the dart who has the greatest impact here....I've hammered on it since the changes came.

dippers and fishwheels as well! Don't forget them, they can pound on some digits as well! We have a few guys at work that run or are a part of wheel groups.

1 pie! the guy eating a spoon full vs the guy eating half the pie, when something needs an immediate change who do you cut first? common sense is going to tell you the spoon full isn't a very fast or abrupt change........ I still for some reason cannot understand why the average person thinks that it will, but they do, over and over again! Nobel, yes! This is a very drastic representation of what's going on...HOWEVER, its not as far off as it seems!

Dipped the South beach Friday on the outgoing...First fish...King...crap. Then two hours goes by and the kid next to me...King...then another two hours, same kid....King. I saw 5 kings get in nets and released Friday. Then later that afternoon, we saw what happens when kings are caught and released....Must have been a solid 45lber floating dead and rotten down the river.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMonkey View Post
    ...Then later that afternoon, we saw what happens when kings are caught and released....Must have been a solid 45lber floating dead and rotten down the river.
    Not trying to say C&R doesn't cause mortality but if it was rotten, it sounds more like an early run fish that might have died after spawning.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    There was nothing preventing ADFG from keeping the no bait restriction in place while allowing more commercial fishing hours. Read the management plan and stop blaming commercial fishermen.

ADFG's position is that the run can support the increased harvest. They will very likely have a spawning escapement in the middle of the goal range, and the King return is solid by all measures.

Many guides are disappointed because now they have increased commercial and dipnet fishing and increased competition by private anglers in the king fishery to deal with. Sucks they are blaming commercial fishermen for the management plan their industry lobbied for and got passed.

If you don't like it, submit a proposal to change the management plan. Maybe yours will fare better than mine.

Default EO'S Kenai/Kasilof

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Yes political management is a joke. Like the idea that Late Run kings are in crisis when they have never missed the lower end of their yield-based goal, let alone a sustainability threshold.

There may have been political considerations to this management decision, but it is supported by both the management plan and all of the data.

Although I would not cry if dippers could not retain kings, and if at least eggs as bait was restricted

Slow fishing in my favorite tidewater haunts today. The easy fish have been picked off with bait... and lotsa fish left the open fishing zone in cold dark aluminum boxes the past 4 days, including a bunch of Kenai caliber hawgs. Shame to see the short-sighted "get 'em while the gettin's good" mentality. Thank god for the Slikok deadline.... too bad sanctuary water didn't extend all the way down THRU Sunken. The gravel sure could have used more than a few of those large spawners.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast