Thread: Ling ?

Default Ling ?

We got some under lings a couple days ago but I am having a hard time finding a legal one. We are heading to whittier tomorrow and thinking of trying to get down south of Elrington and trying some pinnacles down there. Anyone have any advice about that area?

Lings keep getting harder and harder to find. In my opinion nothing is more fun to catch, especially that initial, violent strike. Here's my advice, everyone likes to fish pinnacles, and for good reason. But they are not the only good places to target them such as steep drops next to island/shorelines. I love this website, and use it all summer long, especially for setting pots.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en...y=wmetJ~fbq%5B

The bottom left hand of the site has a bathymetric button, its blue and looks like sound waves. Find a spot you want to fish, then switch to that filter. With this you can see the steepness of the ledges. Work those areas that are steep and deep. I find the best linger fishing to be steep areas that rapidly change from 50 to 120 feet.

And my experience is nothing gets lingers more hot-n-bothered than a root beer jig. Its my go-to setup.

Tight lines and good fishing!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I would have to second the Navionics Webapp, its awesome. I also have the app for my phone. It makes a good chart on your phone if you have gps capabilities. I am always using it. Wish I could help you out on the ling issue. We are headed to seward tonight to do the same.

All good info - thanks guys!

Did you buy the "boating usa" app for 9.99 or the "boating: marine & lakes charts, routes, gps tracks" app? does it work if you do not have cell phone reception?

Without buying anything it is a pretty nice site!

Another vote for fishing the rocky drop offs near islands. One of my most enjoyable times fishing lings was one taken on a 4 oz jig with my salmon rod when I was drifting in 40-50' of water near shore for black bass and hooking a pair of lings, one too small that went back and one ~40".

Sometimes fishing areas most people don't bother with can be well worthwhile.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for web link to Navionics. Before this for pre- trip scouting fishing spots I mostly relied on the NOAA charts. The underwater topo lines are a game changer for me. I will be boat, kayak and land based fishing in September and for my kayak trips sans electronics this really helps narrow down the best areas to probe for rockfish and ling cod. I'm hoping to score a Cabezon or two amongst the kelp beds around the islands just offshore from my lodge.

What one of my chosen spots looks like above and below the waterline.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wish it was just a tad larger and went a tad further South. Assuming North is up, the West side of the peninsula that looks cut off is interesting with the steep drop off. Think steep terrain change, rocky bottom and tide/current to move bait fish for the rock fish and ling to feed off of. Hence I would generally ignore areas between islands and concentrate on the tips of islands and mouths of bays that will have more water moving past them.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I wish it was just a tad larger and went a tad further South. Assuming North is up, the West side of the peninsula that looks cut off is interesting with the steep drop off. Think steep terrain change, rocky bottom and tide/current to move bait fish for the rock fish and ling to feed off of. Hence I would generally ignore areas between islands and concentrate on the tips of islands and mouths of bays that will have more water moving past them.
    Agreed. And this is the time of year to be fishing in front of salmon streams anywhere from 50-150 feet. Big halibut have moved in to the shallows of salmon streams targeting pinks and getting the washed out carcass from spawned out salmon
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Several salmon streams nearby. The excerpt is from chart 17405. http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/17405.shtml

the islands are the Coronados right out in front of my lodge. The spit on the right is Pt. Miraballes which I can drive around PSN bay to and launch the yak.

A friend there put out a skate and caught up to 80# hali's very close by.

Swiped off of NOAA booklet chart 17405 and cropped down.

I'll still stick to my previous recommendation and also check out those 10 fathom pinnacles of Miraballes. It would be worthwhile to have even a very basic sonar to know what your depth is when trying to fish specific structure. If I was fishing from shore if accessible I'd try that Southern spit of Coronados around the 27 fathom mark.