Thread: Tach problems

Default Tach problems

My starboard tach quit working. It is a electric tach that runs off the alternator. I have determined that the tach and the alternator are ok, ( I changed both over to the port side separately and everything worked fine) I checked for continuity on my sending wire from the alternator to my tach and it is good but when I test it for voltage it comes up nothing. The boat has 3208 cats, 1990 vintage, it also has an engine synchronizing system. I'm a passable mechanic but this one has me stumped. What am I missing? Is there something with the synchronizing system that could be causing this?

Sounds like the starboard alternator is not working. Is it charging the batteries?

yes, it is charging. I talked to a mechanic and he said to check the exciter wire so I'll do that next

Kirk, one of the best boat electrical trouble shooters here locally is Tommy Lattin. He works for First City Electric. If you can't figure it out give him a call. First City Electric- 907-225-5688.

I did not realize you had diesel engine. Do you have a diesel tack sending unit, if so it may be bad, did you check the fuse?

Measure the voltage going to the output of the working sending unit is it the same as the starboard engine?
    If not that may be your problem.