Thread: Valdez Shore Fishing Questions - Silvers

Default Valdez Shore Fishing Questions - Silvers

Good Morning everyone, I just stumbled upon this forum after looking for some ideas for shore fishing for silvers in valdez. A brief background...My dad took a trip up there 5-6 years ago with my mom and did a little fishing from shore without much luck, but he was late in the season so most people were just snagging. Anyway, when we were discussing a location for this years fishing trip we decided to fly up from Indiana and spend a week fishing in Valdez the first week of September. We are doing 2 days on a Halibut charter and the rest of the week will be shore fishing for silvers.

From what I have figured out so far, the Allison point area is the best place for catching silvers from shore, around the harbor 2nd. We are bringing 7-8ft rods, both spinning and baitcasting. But I am more concerned with what lures work best or typically work best... We've fished for lake michigan Coho's a few times and catch them on a variety of spoons, spinners, crankbaits, and live bait (cut bait, minnows, and night crawlers). Is that typically what you guys catch them on up there, anything special I should bring or just bring a variety and see what they prefer?

Any tips or things to bring would be appreciated... I've never been to Alaska so just looking to get the most out of the trip!

Thanks,
    Jason

I have a boat so haven't done the shore fishing in years. Large Vibrex spinner, dark green or chartreuse. Pixies, bring various colors. I like gold with an orange center, sliver with green center. Best bet, watch others and see what seems to be working best. Water will probably be murky, Lots of glacial run off now.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Herring under a bobber works well also.

Look up the tide table and plan on fishing when the tide is incoming.

Bring good raingear.

Expect bears. When they show up on shore, fishing is over in that immediate area.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

jhillman, here's a thread I started years ago all about different shore fishing techniques for silvers. Lots of people have contributed other ideas and they all work. When the silvers are in thick and on the bite, they will hit just about anything, basically. I've personally had the best success overall with herring, but have caught a lot on various lures as well. I'd recommend you take a look.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ers+from+shore

As far as the best place to fish, it kind of depends on where the fish are. The entire school can move from one spot to another so be prepared to prospect around. Allison Pt. and the harbor are both options. Sometimes we do really well from the city dock, which has it's own unique challenges (your about 20 feet off the water, so you have to lower a net on a rope to get the fish up).

My family and I will be there Sept. 3-6 or 7th. If you want more info feel free to PM me.

I'll definitely do some reading of that thread... thanks! In regard to herring, are they easy to catch or should I just plan on buying some? On lake Michigan our avg size coho are 2-3 pounds and we can catch them on cut alewive's 1x1 chunks floated under a bobber, do you use the whole herring or just parts of it?

We will be there Aug 30-Sept 6th, staying at the bear paw campground right there on the water somewhere.

I always buy herring for Valdez because I don't have a boat and I don't know where to catch them. Not sure how it works there, but up here you have different sized herring, often referred to as blue label, green label, red label etc. because the color corresponds to the size. I prefer to use a whole blue label herring when I'm free-drifting them (I describe this in the other link). Cut plug also work, but the issue I run into with this technique is simply lack of much weight to cast. You're just casting bait with no weight attached, so the bigger it is, the farther you can cast it.

I have a hard time even imagining 2-3lb coho! Those are tiny compared to these. The Valdez silvers tend to be rather large, with average size probably 8-10 lbs and some that push 20 lbs are caught every year. The biggest I've gotten is about 15lbs. I would definitely rig your rods with line you're comfortable landing a 15lb fish on. I typically use 20-22lb mono with 30lb leaders. I also use braided line on a couple of rods for extra strength and casting distance.

Lures I've had decent success with: Kodiak Custom spinners size 4-5 with skirts. Orange/purple, chartreuse/green. Vibrax spinners, Mepps Spinners (all large...size 4-5) Large Krocodile spoons (silver, silver/blue). Tons of people use pixies, but I'm not a huge fan because they have wimpy hooks that a big fish can destroy. I highly recommend buying some pre-made Gamakatsu or Owner mootching leader setups. Hook size 3/0-5/0. Pieces of herring under a bobber also works well, so you may want to go that route. I started using a slip bobber with a stopper about 10 feet up the line so the bait could sink quite a bit. The water in Valdez tends to have a murkiness to it on the surface due to glacier runoff in the rivers, but it's usually clear water underneath, so I try to get the bait down to the zone where the fish can see it.

Sounds good, yeah... I was thinking about bringing some slip bobbers with some bigger hooks. Lake Michigan is pretty clear so we tend to fish our bobbers about 3-4 feet down, but I understand the need for clear water apart from the murky water.

Yeah, i think the biggest coho i caught this spring was about 20 inches... I've heard of bigger ones caught, especially in the fall, but in the spring time (when they are closest to shore) they average 15-20 inches.

We typically only fish with braid and flouro/mono leaders. I use 15-20lb on spinning reels and 30-40lb on bait casters... i'm assuming that is OK? I'm assuming they also act a lot like our coho's and run a little bit, but do a lot of spinning in the water? Unlike our King's which can peel off 100yds of line.

The braid main line and fluorocarbon leader idea is sound. My wife and I run 30 lb. braid with about 30-36" of 15-17 lb. fluoro leader for Valdez silvers. Our main rods are 8.5' Okuma SST medium/heavy Salmon/Steelhead spinning rods with Okuma Trio 40 reels. Plenty of power all around for these crazy and exciting fish!

As others have mentioned, many spinners and spoons in various colors will work. When the fish are moving in with the incoming tide they're not picky. We get great results with #4 and #5 Vibrax spinners in pink, orange, yellow and blue. Our best pixie results usually come on a silver with pink insert, although we've caught fish on other color combos.

The key to Valdez silvers (and pinks right now!) from the shore is to fish LOW and SLOW. IMO, if you're not getting a bit of weeds every few casts then you're not fishing deep enough. This is important, and the difference between several fish and a skunk can really come down to that simple tip. Oh, and don't worry about making long casts of 90-100' like I used to! Instead, go with short 40-50' casts and whenever possible. In my experience most fish are running close to shore. We've hung many just 5-10' off the rocks. Others have swirled violently right at our feet as we pull our spinners out for the next cast! If you've got room to your left and right, make your cast/retrieve parallel to the rocks.

Last but not least, pray that they return in good numbers. Last year's silver run was a bust!

Good luck and have fun!

Yeah, i heard about last years run... so hoping this years is better too!

Good info on the low/slow option. Sometimes in the spring when coho fishing from shore on lake Michigan, moving baits won't get touched. Either have to throw out a bobber with bait and just let it sit or even just barely crawl a jig/twister along the bottom to get bit. Changes from day to day... but I will bring a wide variety of baits to try out.

How deep is the water near shore? Should I not bring diving baits that run in the 10-15 ft range or is that OK to fish without getting snagged too much?

I know it sounds crazy but eggs under a slip bobber crush the coho off the rocks along Allison point!

How deep do you run them? I started using a slip bobber with a stopper about 8feet up with herring off the city dock as one technique and it worked pretty darn well.

IMO, any diving baits are going to find the bottom, even at the highest point of the tide, especially near the shore. Which probably explains folks' fascination with spinners, pixies and eggs! This is simplistic fishing at it's finest, with even true novices getting in on the action!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhillman17 View Post
    Yeah, i heard about last years run... so hoping this years is better too!

Good info on the low/slow option. Sometimes in the spring when coho fishing from shore on lake Michigan, moving baits won't get touched. Either have to throw out a bobber with bait and just let it sit or even just barely crawl a jig/twister along the bottom to get bit. Changes from day to day... but I will bring a wide variety of baits to try out.

How deep is the water near shore? Should I not bring diving baits that run in the 10-15 ft range or is that OK to fish without getting snagged too much?

If you try spinners, one tip is to retrieve only just fast enough to cause the blade to flip over the bell. This works much better than the usual fast retrieve.
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

I usually vary my speeds until i figure out what part of the water column they are in. On Lake Michigan it seems cloudy days they tend to be up higher in the water column and chasing bait and very active, on sunny days, gotta fish deep and slow. That's the same way we fish diving baits as well, reeling them just fast enough to feel their wobble.

Does anyone ever fish with either blade baits or rattle baits like a Rat'l trap or red eye shad? The last few years I've had my best luck on these type baits and they have out fished spoons and spinners for me. The blade baits act as a hybrid between spoons shine and vibrating crankbaits.

Rattle trap and phat fish are cool they work well for me in Homer but they tend to dive down deep and some bumps feel way too good so you lift up rod to set hook and than your stuck on bottom. Valdez has a lot of rocks near shore. So real slow to not dive down too deep. Expect to lose some:/
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Trying to get a list of things to pack for the upcoming trip in a few weeks... how are bugs this time of year around Valdez? Should I mess with packing any bug spray? Any must haves I need to pack that are commonly forgot?

Bring bug dope. The flies and gnats can get gnarly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply and update... i'll be up there in 2 weeks, so hopefully the reports get better by then!

Had an issue with my account, previous post was deleted so reposting I brought bug spray but they weren't bad at all never even took it out of my truck as for silvers from shore I checked out Allison point and the city dock and saw no one catching silvers. I fished for a bit off the dock and caught a couple surprisingly fresh looking pinks. Heard stories of many people knowing people that caught silvers off the rocks just the other day... But saw none of that.Out on the boat was pretty good action slow but steady.