Thread: load capacity

Default load capacity

just picked up a older but great shape 12 ft rampage hypolon non self bailing raft and cant find much info on it. anyone know what kind of capacity such a raft would have? or any info on them really, are they decent/ junk /ok ? think it would be capable of carrying 2 guys and a moose if the camp was in the other raft? in general depending on river conditions/levels of course ?

I'm not familiar with that particular raft, but it sound similar to the 12' standard floor Aire Tributary. They list this as having a 1000 lb capacity http://aireraft.com/aire-tributary-1...rd-floor-raft/ Keep in mind though that weight capacities listed by manufacturers tend to vary and be subjective. Hope that helps

Two guys and a moose sounds reasonable, but like you point out it depends on the river you're floating.

If the hypalon is in good shape and the valves are tight then you should have a fine raft. The bucket boats actually have a higher carrying capacity than identically sized self bailers because the floor actually displaces water. Comparing your raft to ones with the same tube dimension should give you a general idea of carrying capacity. But like westtrout says, it's all pretty subjective anyhow.

I have no personal knowledge on the Rampage but my rule of thumb is you need a 14 footer when doing a moose hunt. Each raft has a capacity when it comes to weight but you also have to factor in volume. Most 12 footers have 16-18 inch tubes where all of my 14 footers have 21 inch tubes and are just a lot more stable with large loads. We use 12 footers as a "Tag-A-Long" rental boat for many of our moose hunts. The idea is the 14 footer is your primary and the 12 footer is a meat hauler. I will attach a pic of how we do this but understand that the "Tag--A-Long" raft works only in slow fllat water and would be a very bad idea in any white water situation.

Bucket boats are really great for hunts because they are lighter than a inflated floor-bailer boat and because they have the sealed floor they float along in skinny water and the real + is the ability to keep all the water out and meat dry. When we rented bailer boats we have too much spoiled meat because water came in through normal movement in the raft and meat bags got wet. Bucket boats with a suspended floor system keep meat high and dry!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    www.northwestalaska.net
    907-259-4290
    Float hunts & Drop Camps-Unit 23
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've had myself, a hunter, two empty backpacks and a 60-inch bull moose in my 12' bailer, and we had 4" of water flood over the floor. If you go with the non bailer you'll gain some on lift, but at the expense of being overloaded. And that doesn't even include your personal gear, hunting gear, and camp. The boat is too small.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

well we have two boats. just wanted opinions on weather we could have two guys and a moose in this boat or only one guy and moose. no gear or camp in this one and will be on a fairly deep slow moving river. you think its to small anyway mike ?

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    well we have two boats. just wanted opinions on weather we could have two guys and a moose in this boat or only one guy and moose. no gear or camp in this one and will be on a fairly deep slow moving river. you think its to small anyway mike ?
    Sorry for the delayed response; it's approaching fall and things are hopping around here...

You might pull it off with only one person and the meat from one moose in that non bailer, in slow, deep water. Still a very heavy load for that small a boat.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay