Thread: Caribou Lake Fire

Default Caribou Lake Fire

I am new to the forum and not sure just where to post this. If it is in the wrong location I dont mind if the mods relocate it. Anyway, a few years ago I purchased some property on the north side of Caribou lake to build a hunting cabin on. I have never seen the area but was told there is good moose hunting in the area.

I have two questsions. First, what else is there in the area other than moose to hunt? Second, does anyone have any information on the fire that is burning up there now? I hope the fire spares the homes already built in the area. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Allen

Default fire in the hills

http://www.borough.kenai.ak.us/

Go to this site under emergency management. It has the lates reports and maps.

The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default Fire Update

Bear74,

THank you for the information. It was all the information I needed.

Allen

Though the place will be altered by the fire, it will grow back and the moose hunting should get better. Moose like the bushes which grow in after a burn.
    If you're a bear hunter, there should be lots of black bears around to hunt in the spring- You can set up a bait station and you'll see lots of bears. There are quite a few brown bears on the Peninsula though, so put your tree stand way up a big tree. You might want to build one you can sleep in, as climbing down near a bunch of bear bait in the dark is pretty scarey!!

Default Thank you

bgreen,

Thank you as well. The fire is moving north east of the lake. gGood for me, but not so good the the residents in that direction. I do hope the get this under control quickly. We had two wifldires here a few years ago the burned into one and consumed almost 500,000 acrea in central Az. God bless those in the path of the fire and the firefighters protection them. Praying for rain!

Allen

The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default Bears

Raven1,

We have bears here in Az but by all standards they are small and not abundant. In 28 years of hunting here I have take only one with a bow. I have seen several but they seem to appear out of season or out of range. I do hope to get in some bear hunting shortly after I arrive.

I have looked at many of the hunting photos and see some very nice bears taken. SOme day the photos will be of me and my bears. Until then I must just look and admire the success of the more fortunate. THanks for the advice. On the brown bears issue, are there a lot of them on the area?

Allen

Hi Dredger:

The latest that I know about the fire, it sounds as though your property north of Caribou Lake hasn't been burned up YET! The fire is further north, but the winds and fuel will be the determing factor.
    Most hunters go after moose in this area, but there's a fair amount of wolves, and more brown bears than black bears these days. Of course the Kenai has gone to a draw area for the brown bears, and your area will only garner 2 permits a year. Slim chance of getting one. On the other hand, the moose hunting down the road will improve, with new habitat that will rise from the ashes of this fire.
    Good luck on your property. It hasn't been so good for a few friends of mine, who've had property and cabins up there for years.

Default Cabin,

bgreen, I hope your cabin is not in harms way. Reading the the other forum I see you have a vested interest in the fire as well. I hope those that have cabins in the Deep Creek area escape with minor damage.

I do like the team work and willingness to help others displayed by those on the other forum. They sound like true friends who are will to help when the chips are down. THat is a big part of why I wnat to relocate my family to Alaska. May god bless you and the others in the path of this fire.

Allen

Trapak,
    Thanks for the update. I see the information posted by bgreen listing the 4X4 forum has some very good info. I hate to see the folks suffer the loss of their cabins and homes. I see that the friends are jumping in to offer assistance. That is priceless. As stated in other posts here, the people we haver meet both in person and on this forum are the main factors for my move to Homer. I cant do much from here but I will be there next summer. I will be willing to help as well. Homes can be rebuild. I hope everyone stays safe and keep a positive attitude. It the friendships the are the true treasures.

Allen

Default Cabin

bgreen,

Any word on your cabin?

I've seen lots of black bears in that area, but that was several years ago back when I used to spend alot more time up there in the fall. They used to tear the hell out of my cabin.

No word on my cabin, but looking at all the maps that have been posted on the boroughs website, it doesn't look good. Im less concerned with my cabin than I am with all the other beautiful cabins in and around the Ninilchik 40 subdivision. Mine was a squatter cabin built in the 50's by seizemograph crews, so its nothing special. I'd hate to loose it, as would our partners who use it more than my family, but all the same, it would be a very small loss in comparison. I know several guys from work have lost their cabins, and many other friends. Its a shame, but we all knew it was coming. Some of us took steps to protect our investments, others did not. For some, it probably didnt matter.

I hope to go up there next weekend if possible, if we can make it to my place and its still intact, we'll swing by some other places and see what we can do. If anyone wants to help out, has a wheeler or other offroad transportation, post up.

I will be looking for a black black bear. I have a chocolate one from AZ. I have been looking for a black one for several years now. I have seen all black ones but they were small. How far would a guy have to go from Homer to hunt caribou, deer and elk?

I wish you and all the others with homes and cabins in the area only the best of luck.

Kodiak has deer, as does south east. (Couple hours on the Ferry) Caribou can be had as close as Soldotna/Cooper Landing with a permit. (Couple hours via road) We dont have Elk.

Default Huh???

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    Kodiak has deer, as does south east. (Couple hours on the Ferry) Caribou can be had as close as Soldotna/Cooper Landing with a permit. (Couple hours via road) We dont have Elk.
    Elk can be taken on Afognak and Raspberry Islands, closer to Homer than Kodiak. Almost every one of the Islands between Cook Inlet and Juneau have deer. Some islands are better than others for the deer.

Default Good for moose

Oh yeah, the Caribou creek fire is going to be wonderful for the moose population which was already substantial in the caribou hills/Ninilchick area. There are other areas of the peninsula also that are just waiting for a spark and they will burn fast. Areas I have seen that are riddled with huge beetle kill include the far side of Kachemak Bay and the Moose Pass area. A fire will not only help the moose, but help the forest recover from the beetle kill. All those millions of dollars of fire supression here on the Kenai during the past 30 years only will make the burn that much more unmanageable when it does happen. The Kenai used to have huge fires regularly. The last few years they are starting again and there should be some big ones soon on the scale of Caribou Creek. And the moose hunting will be great again. Although your cabin on Caribou lake is in a fairly crowded area, you can hunt off your 4 wheeler and cover a lot of ground up there. There have been some huge bulls taken in there by people who have either hunted there for years or spotted from planes.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Elk can be taken on Afognak and Raspberry Islands, closer to Homer than Kodiak. Almost every one of the Islands between Cook Inlet and Juneau have deer. Some islands are better than others for the deer.

No native populations of Elk though, right? How does a person go about getting an opportunity to harvest such an animal in Alaska?

Default Information provided

I would like to say thanks to all of you that provided me with so much information. I hope to meet some of you when I finally get to Alaska next summer. You guys on the forum know your stuff and I wish you all a successful season with many good memories.

Brook, let those that have suffered losses know that we will keep the faith here and wish you all the best.