Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dall sheep guide

Default Dall sheep guide

Hey guys. I'm doing my first ak hunt this year for deer and bou on kodiak. I'm about to do something dumb and get engaged in the near future! Lol ok maybe not dumb but before I have to ask permission to go hunting and worry about "our" budgets I want to go on a dall hunt. What do you guys recommend? Wait for a draw area? Go in a registration area? Do yall have any recommendations on guides? I'd be lying if money was no object but I have $25k budgeted and sitting in an account for the hunt, airfare, and hopefully taxidermy. Let me know what your thoughts and recommendations are! Thanks!!

$25K sitting around??? I'd go for Stone sheep personally.....a dall sheep hunt will be easier to talk your new bride into down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    $25K sitting around??? I'd go for Stone sheep personally.....a dall sheep hunt will be easier to talk your new bride into down the road.

Haha that's all the money I have! Don't have another $15k to cover a stone hunt by the time you add all this fun extras Canada has. And she thinks I'm fricking nuts to spend $25k on a hunt as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbersig View Post
    Haha that's all the money I have! Don't have another $15k to cover a stone hunt by the time you add all this fun extras Canada has. And she thinks I'm fricking nuts to spend $25k on a hunt as it is!
    ill take you. I'll tie it to a tree for you for $25k. Move to AK. Become a resident. And diy
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Haha if a job would ever open up there I'd apply!

figure out what you want from a dall hunt, then narrow down the qualifications for us...
    you just want blood on the ground?
    you want a small outfit?
    do you care if your hunter number 8?
    do you want to fly in or walk in?
    are you trophy hunting or legal sheep hunting?
    are you ok with going home empty handed?
    any other animals you want to try and add or is dall it?
    whats your realistic budget for the guided portion? take out flights, hotels, tags, taxidermy ect...
    do you like freeze dried?

theres alot of different kinds of sheep hunting...dream it up and then let us know a better direction of what sounds like an adventure your willing to pay for.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm obviously biased, but this is the outfit I work for:
    http://huntdallsheep.com/
    Very high success rates, small outfit, and hard working/professional guys. Also Mont is a very good and honest man.

Africa.........
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    figure out what you want from a dall hunt, then narrow down the qualifications for us...
    you just want blood on the ground?
    you want a small outfit?
    do you care if your hunter number 8?
    do you want to fly in or walk in?
    are you trophy hunting or legal sheep hunting?
    are you ok with going home empty handed?
    any other animals you want to try and add or is dall it?
    whats your realistic budget for the guided portion? take out flights, hotels, tags, taxidermy ect...
    do you like freeze dried?

theres alot of different kinds of sheep hunting...dream it up and then let us know a better direction of what sounds like an adventure your willing to pay for.
    HECK ya I want blood on the ground knowing its hunting and not just shooting. Lol. I don't care if it's a big or small outfit as long as it's quality. Big guys can be awesome and little guys can be ****ty too so size of operation doesn't matter to me. I would prefer to not be number 8 but if I'm number 8 in an area with 9 legal Rams I wouldn't complain. Lol. Fly in would be preferable just thinking it would have better chances of more and bigger sheep. I would prefer trophy hunting but a trophy for me not just a barely legal ram. 36" would be my preferable minimum but I don't want to go home empty handed. I'd love to be able to add in critters but my overall budget might be strapped. It wouldn't be too hard to whip out s credit card if a Boone and Crocket caribou or bear was 200 yards away tho. Lol. . $25,000 is my max budget for hunt travel, tips(10-20% the standard???), and taxidermy for a potential full body mount($2500-3k). I have the ak airlines credit card so flight will either be cheap for free. So about $18,500 would be my budget for hunt/bush flights. Ya I am fine eating mountain house meals for an extended period of time.....that's what we have for kodiak in a couple months. Thanks for your help and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Africa.........

I have less than 0 interest in Africa. Well maybe when I'm rich and have killed every game animal on our continent I would look over there.

I have seen your website actually. Looks like you've had awesome success. How are the sheep numbers? I've heard AK has had a big decrease in population. Is that state wide or more localized? I just sent an email to mont to get some price info and availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbersig View Post
    I have seen your website actually. Looks like you've had awesome success. How are the sheep numbers? I've heard AK has had a big decrease in population. Is that state wide or more localized? I just sent an email to mont to get some price info and availability.
    Sheep numbers seem to be great in that part if the state (western alaska range). Never have had a problem finding rams for the clients in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by ERL View Post
    Sheep numbers seem to be great in that part if the state (western alaska range). Never have had a problem finding rams for the clients in that area.
    Thats good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Africa.........
    Canada........
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Canada........
    Canada would be awesome but once you start adding up everything extra Canada hunts charge it's over $30k. I'm set on dalls in Alaska.

This is BRWNBR as fine as they come.
    http://alaska-bearhunting.com/sheep/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Sweet picture... look at all that shinny new gear that didn't even get broke in. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post

Sweet picture... look at all that shinny new gear that didn't even get broke in. haha
    I don't get it....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Have you personally used this outfitter?
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast