Thread: What is your favorite broadhead arrrow combo for moose??

Default What is your favorite broadhead arrrow combo for moose??

Alright-I opened the can of worms-I am looking for new arrows and broad heads to shoot through my compound bow. I am currently shooting Gold Tip 5575's and 100gr expandable heads.

What is your favorite combo to make mooses take a dirt nap??
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

you need a sturdy broadhead for moose. Look at how large the rib bones are. If you hit one, the arrow needs to keep going with a mostly intact head. That won't happen with expandables. Those are for deer.
    I might be old school, but I have taken 16 bull moose with a bow. Nearly every one was with Satellite broadheads on aluminum arrows. I shoot the 125 grain heads with 4 replaceable razor inserts. Many of the new fangled heads are not much different. I often shoot all the way through these bulls. Arrow passes through and lands somewhere in the brush on the other side. I have used the same arrow/broadhead to take 3 bulls by only replacing a blade or 2.
    You may still have to track, so make sure you know how. Be patient, and if the job requires, get on your hands and knees. Mark the blood with bits of surveyor tape. Don't let your buddy get ahead of you and muck up the trail. You may be looking for bent blades of grass and such between blood drops.
    I trained my dog to blood trail moose. Took her out after the fact several times and put her on the trail of moose we had already recovered. She will pull me right to a down moose now.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Carbon Express weighing about 425 grains. Either Magnus SS Snuffers or a similar built cut-on-impact. NO expandables for me. At 64 pounds they blow through moose easily.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Beman ICS Hunters 400 with a 100 grain Muzzy 3 blade...twice I have had complete pass through on moose, last one quartering away (perfect shot). Massive blood trails, and down in under 30 seconds...why change?
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I use Beaman ICS 400's with muzzy trocar 100 gr. goes thru moose like butter.

Hoytguy
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

I shoot the muzzy trokar and I'm happy with those. Last year's moose went down using a gold tip arrow but I don't like those so I made the switch to carbon express arrows and am more than happy with those

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ADUKHNT,,, Are you shooting compound or traditional?

Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    Alright-I opened the can of worms-I am looking for new arrows and broad heads to shoot through my compound bow. I am currently shooting Gold Tip 5575's and 100gr expandable heads.

What is your favorite combo to make mooses take a dirt nap??
    Why are you looking for a new set-up?

I've made 16 take a dirt nap with Satellite heads on aluminum shafts. Bow cranked up to 80 pounds. Most were DRT, (dead right there) but sometimes you have to track em. Pass through shots have been pretty common with this set up. The last one I nailed like this, I was standing on my front porch at 5:15 am opening morning, in my socks. (forked horn, 2009) The arrow went another 40 plus yards after passing all the way through the sweet spot (double lunged). He ran like a horse out of the starting gate through my lawn, across the road, past the neighbors front window, and died on the run in the brush about 200 yards away. We had him hung up and skinned in my shop by 7:30 am.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.