Thread: Kenai Lake Trout Fishing

Default Kenai Lake Trout Fishing

We will be down camping in the Quartz Creek area for the next couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone ever fishes for trout in Kenai Lake. I know the big push right now is for Salmon and Trout on the river but I wanted to take the kids out on the boat in the lake and look for some trout for them to catch. I have never fished the lake, mostly explored the shorelines with the kids and haven't really every seen anyone fishing the lake much the last few years, especially this time of year. We normally fish the creek for dollies but would like to get out in the lake. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eric

Trolled a few years back with "broke-back" minnow type lures. Caught a few nice dollies, but no trout.

Do you have a boat? Trolling is a ver effective way to target the lake trout in Kenai Lake. Blue/Chrome K-9 kwickfish or other plugs in that size and color are effective. Spoons will work as well. If fishing from shore, spoons will work as well as bait fished off the bottom. Herring or salmon eggs for lakers, shrimp or salmon eggs for dollies and rainbows. Make sure you are a 1/4 mile from any inlet stream if using bait.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

When I fish Kenai lake, I use salmon egg and weight set up with a bell and pole spikes. Just like how we would fish for giant trevally in Hawaii. I have been very successful this way. I have noticed evenings between 10pm and 2am strikes are more frequent. Never trolled from my boat...
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Thanks for the quick replies, we will be fishing from a boat and I have quite a bit of cured salmon eggs from this years reds. I will make sure we are the prescribed distance from the inlets. I am really looking forward to getting my girls into some trout. They love to fish and it is a bit more relaxing than the rivers right now.

Eric

I tossed spoons and spinners off the Trail Lakes campground over the 4th with nothing to show for it haha
    hook, line, sinker, done.