Thread: Best Orca Bait? Chicken?

Question Best Orca Bait? Chicken?

We were south of Latouche on Tuesday trying to get some butts in the 4-6 footers when a couple orcas surfaced a couple hundred yards off the stern. We were catching some chickens and noticed one of the orcas eating what we think was a seal. We got two butts on and one was about 100 foot down from the boat and the other was on the bottom still. The orcas surfaced now about 50 yards from the boat. So I says to my crew - ya think Orcas like chicken? The response was unanimous - probably so.

My fish was getting close and I was trying to get it into the boat as fast as I could. I saw the chicken first and was getting ready to quickly gaff it when from the deep came white shiny teeth followed by a black head. I reacted by jerking up on the pole and trying to get to the other side of the boat. The chicken came flying into the boat and the bull snapped his mouth shut and rolled to his side just brushing the bottom unit of the motor. Seriously - he was less than 3 feet from the boat.

He was not full grown I don't think but pretty large in appearance at three feet distance. I could have gaffed him. They sounded and came up about 75 yards up current from the boat and the next fish came aboard without getting eaten.

Wow - sounds like a pretty amazing experience! I've had that happen in a commercial vessel with orcas and sea lions, but never while pulling one in on rod and reel. Very cool!

It was super cool, but I could certainly live out my days without having that happen again and I would be perfectly okay with that. It will be a story told around our campfires for years to come I am sure. Heck - my uncle already has my arm in his mouth already I think!

Just be sure to use a good circle hook next time to avoid unnecessary snagging and facilitate a quick release if the orca isn't of a size or quality you wish to tag out on....

Haha, great story. That is why my spare gear always includes an extra pair of underwear.
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

It happened too fast to really get scared. Instinct made me jump to the other side of the boat. The wife was at my shoulder, my uncle was back in the corner same side as the fish and his daughter was on the other side. We all saw it up close and personal. At the very first I was seriously thinking about hitting it with the gaff but size and sharp teeth made me jump back!

Love it!

Sometimes Alaska happens!!!!!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Just wait until they figure out what tasty morsels are on those motorized icebergs....

While you can get halibut in New Saguya, you can't get a campfire story like that in New Saguya!

Thanks for sharing!!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I cant seem to find Orca in the fishing regs. What's the limit?

Wow.... Pucker check.

We lost a couple of kings to a big bull sea lion right at the boat. Looked like a giant brown airplane zooming right out from under you, a couple of feet below the surface.

My question is how to CALL orcas when you really need them!

I have had 1 sea lion bull get close enough that I thought he was going to try to climb on the swimstep...I motored up quickly. My uncles has a campfire story of a bull sea lion climbing up onto the gunnel of a boat trying to get a king. They were hitting it with the gaff and a 5 gallon bucket.

If you get a chance goto to the ADFG office and look at the seal, sea lion, black bear, brown bear skulls they have on showcase - not much difference between a seal and a blackie or a sea lion and a brownie.

On the outer coast of POW, specifically Noyes Island, the sea lions have been well trained to harvest your kings after you've hooked them. Over the last 20 years I can't count how many kings I've lost to sea lions. Its quite comical to see them big VW buses swimming around with lead sinkers dangling from their mouths, lips and gums stuck with hooks.

A few years ago, one of the waterfall guides had an electronic device he had bolted to a 2x4. Whenever a client got a king, he'd stick that thing in the water. My assumption was it was recording of Orca sounds, as that would certainly get any sea lion the duck-out-of-fodge.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    On the outer coast of POW, specifically Noyes Island, the sea lions have been well trained to harvest your kings after you've hooked them. Over the last 20 years I can't count how many kings I've lost to sea lions. Its quite comical to see them big VW buses swimming around with lead sinkers dangling from their mouths, lips and gums stuck with hooks.

A few years ago, one of the waterfall guides had an electronic device he had bolted to a 2x4. Whenever a client got a king, he'd stick that thing in the water. My assumption was it was recording of Orca sounds, as that would certainly get any sea lion the duck-out-of-fodge.
    One trip to Cape Addington to see the sea lion rookery was enough for me. I was there to fish. Those belching, f@rting, stinking critters look cute and all on the rocks....but that's about it.

"Duuuuuhhhhh....how youz guyz liking my new piercing, eh ?"
    Attached Images Attached Images