Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Scopes..

Default Alaska Scopes..

This subject comes up since I finally got around to answering some E-mail this morning and one was a scope question.

What do you folks think about scopes for hunting in this last frontier?
    Fixed or variable? What power or power range? What objective lens diameter? What do you look for in a hunting scope for Alaska? Ruggedness, brightness, compact size/weight? What about for heavier calibers for dangerous game? (is there such a thing?) What about for the do-all rifle for hunting everything from mice to moose?

Any thoughts? What scope would you put on a....

Kimber Montana in 325 WSM?
    Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger?
    Remington XCR in 30-06 Spfd?
    Weatherby Vangard in 300 Wby?
    Sako M75 S/S in 338 Win Mag?
    Winchester M70 S/S in 375 H&H?

What one scope would be the best compromise for all of them?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sign me up for the Leupold VXIII 1.5x5. Everything else is a compromise for my hunting.

3x9 leupold european with no. 4 ret. would be a good comprimise. Lightweight, good field of view, ecconomical, made in the USA with a good warranty,

Red face Leupold

VXII 2x7 33mm objective. Nice scope and good price.

Ron

Default Leupold

In order to cover ALL of the calibers mentioned my selection would be the 1.75 x 6

Schmidt&Bender 2.5X10X56 with the L1 illumanated reticle.http://www.schmidt-bender.de/frames/labs.htm

Also I would use these bases on each one of the rifles and Talley QD rings on the scope.

http://www.nearmfg.com/ But wait, I already have on my own rifles.

Default Scopes

Murph:

For what it's worth, I installed a VariX3 Silver on my Kimber Montana in 308.Finally decided on the 2.5 X 8.Went with the standard duplex which has always served me well over 40 years.

Not sure the 1.75X6 would not be just as good a choice, although the objective on the 2.5X8 is slightly larger.

I also used the dual dovetail mounts.I like these for clean barrels and they are about as recoil resistant as anything I've found.Not happy Leupold didn't make them in silver for the Montana, but that's the way the mop flops.

At 6 lbs, 2 ounces out the door, not much other than big bears I wouldn't tackle with this rig, given sensible hunting conditions.MORE than ample for the lower 48 and, I suspect, most what wanders around your neck of the woods.

If I can ever scrape up $15 grand for brownies, I'll bring my Sako 375.And for that hunt, put a Leupold 1.75x6 up top.In Leupold mounts, loctited in...and a spare scope just in case.

Everywhere I hunt around here it is covered in thick trees, and I rarely get open terrain to scope out. So If I had just one all-around rifle, it would have to come with iron sights, have quick detachable mounts, and be topped off with something like a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5x6x42 with a plain Duplex recticle on it. I dont care for scopes with the fancy 'Ballistics aiming system' recticles, and all the other bells and whistles, like parallax adjustments. For my "one-gun-does-it-all" rifle, just give me a 375 Ruger
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default fixed 4x

The only scopes I own are Leupold fixed 4x. Simple, good value and quality, never had any complaints. I haven't been in a situation yet where I didn't feel comfortable with "just" 4x.
    Ideally, I wouldn't use a scope at all....just a peep, but that would be a bit limiting.

Default 4X with target dot

I have three of these and one has a serial number of 2XXX and is pre-gold ring.

300 win -xtr Winchester 70 pushfeed.
    300win-vanguard(Japanese)
    375 H+H Winchester 70 Classic

They satisfy durability and seem to be goldilocks syndrome of being "just right"
    for Alaskan hunting.

Thumbs up Leupold 2.5x8

I use mostly Leupold VX3 2.5x8.........but I put a Leupold VX3 3.5x10 on my 338 Win with the BC reticle.........sweet!
    Alaska

Nikon Monarch or Buckmaster scopes and you choose the powers need for how you will use your rifles.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The 375's would get Bushnell 4200 Elites in 1.5-6x36 or VX III's in 1.75-6x32. The 338, 325, 300 Wby, and 06 would get 4200 Elites in 2.5-10x40 or VX III's in 2.5-8x36. If I hadn't seen so many refurbished Nikons being for sale at some of the larger scope retailers' on line sites, I might have said Nikon Monarch because the glass and brightness is exceptional, but reliability concerns eliminate it for me as an Alaska scope. The fact that so many people love Leupold for their warranty service means that some of their scopes must fail too. I just think the optics are better to my eyes on the Elite 4200 and Rainguard is a plus in a wet environment.

Default scopes

I could get by just fine with the Leupold VX 111 in 2.5 x 8 by 36mm and a Duplex reticle on all of those.

Sorry, I didn't answer the question as asked. So to correct my mistake, an Elite 4200 2.5-10x40.

Leupold VX III 1.75-6 32MM or 3.5 -10 40MM

Schmidt&Bender 1.5x6x42 on all of them. QD mounts and good iron sights!

My 416WBY
    1.5-6x42 Black Matte Nikoplex for my 416 Weatherby Magnum Mark V Deluxe.

My 300WBY
    Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 Side Focus, BDC Reticle, Matte Black Finish

My 257-300WBY
    Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 Side Focus, BDC Reticle, Matte Black Finish
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default all around scopes

I totally agree with Brownbear if I could have only one it would be a Leupold VX lll 1.5 X 5 and for Alaska hunting it will do everything you need a scope to do just my humble opinion....Ronnie

Default Scope.

Another vote for the Leupold VX3 1.75 X 6. I have 2 of them and they are the best IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast