Thread: Fly Rod Trolling for Silvers

Default Fly Rod Trolling for Silvers

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do!

The silvers offshore were too scattered to bother with casting, but I didn't want to switch to conventional trolling gear. So I swapped out the reel spools with sink-tip lines for spools with lead core on both our rods. Let out 60' for about 10' of depth and trolled at 2.5mph.

Bingo!

We picked up 6 in an hour, releasing the two smallest. We lost a couple, had two doubles, and missed some hits, too. They're only red salmon size right now (6#-9#), but with time out for landing fish and resetting lines, we probably didn't have to troll 5 minutes for a hookup on either rod.

If you have a fly rod gathering dust waiting for river fishing, pick up some lead core line and take it offshore with you. Just a whole lot more fun than conventional tackle!

deep water express works well also if you can find it (search the net they're generally on sale).

I've fished butts with the DWE lines and made contact in 150 fow pretty easily.

My experience trolling with DWE's, Leviathan and others sezz they're pretty limited on depth. Just too much "current" for them to work their magic. At 2.0-2.5mph (slow for silvers), they get down about 8' with the whole fly line out of the guides. We dinked around with the leadcore and with 80 yards out we managed to snag bottom a couple times while trolling at 2.2mph in 40' of water.

You can buy a whole 100 yard spool of lead core for around $20, not much more than a 25 yard spool of premium florocarbon leader, so we're not talking back breaker expenses either. Here is where I bought ours.

I wonder if diameter is the issue or possibly current.

Dwe 30' 850 grains vs cortland leadcore 390 grains at 30'

You can get a dwe in a few different grain weights.

My experience is with the 850. It sank like a rock!

On a side note i have leadcore trolling line as well for whiskey rods and running stacked riggers. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I wonder if diameter is the issue or possibly current.
    Dwe 30' 850 grains vs cortland leadcore 390 grains at 30'
    I have DWE 850's on my 14 WT rods, and I think the issue is the current working on all that non-weighted line behind the 30' head. It just doesn't go much deeper with all the running line out while trolling. The 27# lead core is lots skinnier and denser too.

I have some 35' Airflo T18 Titanium heads, and I've tried those on running lines, as well as loop-to-loop on the heads of my DWE's. That's significantly better, though lots more hassle (and reel capacity required) than simply having a spare spool rigged with backing and the lead core.

Makes sense. I know the belly on the dwe's are much thicker than leadcore. I bet it would rock for slow rolling on a mooching rig! I prefer 1kt for slow trolling. Had pretty good luck running a streamer as well on the leadcore line. But again slower speeds. Not that fast doesnt work. It works well, wrong forum for that though lol.

I dont believe the running section on mine are without weight though.

the reason we went to FIRE WIRE , LINE was it was thinner compared to the old stile line better trolling get down deeper with less weight ,
    the same with fly line the DIAMETER of fly line [ DRAG IN WATER ] means a lot when trolling with fly line do what they do for RED fishing change to , MONO the lest amount of drag , MY 2 CTS SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    ...FIRE WIRE LINE....
    Gotta be real "thoughtful" if using that on fly rods with fish that spend a lot of time sawing in and out with your backing in the guides. Conventional snake guides on fly rods are waaaaaaay too soft, and it only takes a couple of hot king salmon to cut deep grooves in your guides.

Ask me how I know!

Brown bear. How much lead core do you spool on , 80-100 ft ? Albright to backing ?

I had only planned to put on 90', but after removing the fly line there was lots of room so I spooled on all 100 yards. Took up about half as much room as the fly lines.

I use back to back Uni knots (i.e., nail knots) to join the backing to the lead core.