Thread: Kenai reds fading, pinks coming in?

Default Kenai reds fading, pinks coming in?

Heard someone say that the peak of the reds was Sunday and now pinks are starting to come in. Anyone seen that or have an opinion? Gotta decide what to do this weekend, dip for reds or head to the salt for silvers.

This run has not yet peaked as far as the reds are concerned.

And this is NOT a pink year on the Kenai(Pinks only return to the Kenai en masse in EVEN numbered years), so any pinks showing up are strays that are lost and are likely pretty few in number.

I actually picked up a real nice silvery pink in Soldotna Monday night, surprised me, best off year pink I've caught.

If I had the boat for it is be fishing salt water silvers rather than fighting the chaos on the Kenai!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with BigDipper...either the reds haven't shown up en masse yet, meaning many more to come....or this is going to be a really, really bad year for them. I think they haven't shown up yet, so hopefully we'll still some massive surges hit the river. In theory there should still be about a million fish coming based on past year's counts.

There are still fish coming. Lots of them though my experience is when a run is late, it's hard for it to "catch up" to pre season forecast.

Lots of reports about silvers being in the streams. Reds are late. Silvers on the early side. They will show soon.

Last posted OTF index.

Jul 21. 204
    Jul 21. 57
    Jul 22 342
    Jul 23. 88

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

OTF 342....wow. That's going to be a huge slug.

74K Kenai escapement yesterday. 12K Kasilof.

Kenai reds tracking 1-2 days behind last year and folks are writing it off. Please remember that none of the projections are based on anthing more than a SWAG. I cringe when I think what will happen when we actually get a weak sockeye run the Kenai. We are spoiled.

"so any pinks showing up are strays that are lost and are likely pretty few in number."

There will be pinks in the Kenai every year, just more on even years. Why would they need to be lost or strays ?

Things are a bit strange in some places. PWS has already passed the 30 million mark for the pink harvest, setting a record. And folks are reporting good numbers of silvers all over PWS.

To the original poster's questions. There should be good numbers of reds hitting the Kenai this weekend along with a hord of eager dippers. If you are social and like the crowds then you should have some success. If you would rather not be there with half the population of South Central then SW silvers are likely a better choice if the weather cooperates. Good luck either way.