Thread: Caribou hunt

Default Caribou hunt

So I am planning on a hunt for caribou off the McLaren. It's the Paxton side of the river. Just trying to decide if it would be better to put in at the McLaren Lodge and go north, and have the ability to go south. I also have the option of putting the boat in at the sue of the highway and go south to the McLaren mouth and go north from there. We have 2 tags to fill and just wanted some recommendations of which would be the best direction. I have an airboat so I have an easier time with navigating thin water
    "Bearly Wounded" 18' Alaska Airboat, LS3 counter rotator. And a bit of a light problem.

The Clearwater Controlled Use area kinda limits use of a boat north of the Denali Hwy, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticNorseman View Post
    The Clearwater Controlled Use area kinda limits use of a boat north of the Denali Hwy, doesn't it?
    Far as I understand no cause your in the water, just can't take it on land.
    "Bearly Wounded" 18' Alaska Airboat, LS3 counter rotator. And a bit of a light problem.

But if that's the case then I just need to figure if it would be better to go south on the McLaren or come from the mouth and go north. Always did it by 6x6 Ranger before so using a boat this year is new.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSmash View Post
    You're pretty mistaken about that one. No powered vehicles north of the bridge. I hunt the Clearwater area every year and I know for a FACT, you CAN NOT use a boat under power north of the bridge. Say hi to Trooper Massey, and be sure to let him know the nuances of the boat you just donated, if you think otherwise.

This is why I was asking. It's the point of the forum. Thanks for the info and no need to be rude about it.

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    You're pretty mistaken about that one. No powered vehicles north of the bridge. I hunt the Clearwater area every year and I know for a FACT, you CAN NOT use a boat under power north of the bridge. Say hi to Trooper Massey, and be sure to let him know the nuances of the boat you just donated, if you think otherwise.
    i would just call the fish and game, way to many experts here.

dwight

Area Description: The Clearwater Creek Controlled Use Area: the area consists of that portion of Unit 13(B) north of the Denali Highway, west of and including the MacLaren River drainage,east of and including the eastern bank drainages of the Middle Fork of the Susitna Riverdownstream from and including the Susitna Glacier, and the eastern bank drainages of the Susitna River downstream from its confluence with the Middle Fork.

Sounds like the river itself is not included in the CUA. East of the East bank is though.

Oops... just saw that the river in question was the MacLaren It's pretty clear that the MacLAren drainage north of the bridge is off limits.

This is why I was asking. It's the point of the forum. Thanks for the info and no need to be rude about it.
    Didn't mean to be rude. I just get frustrated because every year I am in there, I see four-wheelers and powered boats who are "just sight-seeing" with rifles. Then one guy stays with a bunch of gear and the sight-seer takes an empty wheeler or boat back to the truck and rides a bike back to camp.

You can run a boat upriver on the Maclaren river, BUT, only for fishing, sightseeing, camping, etc..
    If for ANY purpose of hunting, even transporting gear for a drop off or running up and floating down, then that's illegal and off limits...
    Same goes for the guys in the Jeeps that drive up the dirt trail on the west side of the Maclaren in the dark, drop off their buddy's with canoes and rafts, and haul ***** outta there...
    Not sure if the Clearwater is the same, I'm assuming it is...

Absolutely wrong.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'll just put in at the sue and start at the mouth of the Maclaren and work our way up. I think I got some bad information or they were taking about the Maclaren off the Richerdson Hwy by the copper.