Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QUITING the .22 Rimfire & What GOOD is it ANYWAY.....???

Talking QUITING the .22 Rimfire & What GOOD is it ANYWAY.....???

This has zero to do with any alleged .22 LR ammo shortage. Has everything to do with other tools (For ME) are more flexible in the field. I have tried to hold on to my fantasy belief of needing of a .22LR handgun for camp meat. The reality is my G24 or G35 is far better suited for that, and offers the addition of being a marginal bear in the tent tool.

I bought my first .22 LR rifle in 1956 at the age of just shy of ten y/o. One can profess that .22 LR rifle is the foundation of a learning to shoot toolbox. But, after near 60 years of practice, I am not likely to improve my shooting proficiency. And it has been good enough for as long as I can remember.

I have tried for years to tell myself that a quality .22 LR rifle is a fine "Winter Time" daily'hike-about tool for harvesting an encountered fox/coyote/lynx/close encounter wolf. But, I never do that as other tools are better for that application.

The market for firearms is good now (sadly NOT on this forum) and I have, mostly through Mountain View Sports, sold about $10,800.00 of firearms so far this year. So I have decided to sell off all of my .22 LR firearms, and then sell all of the ammo.

Please NO private messages about this.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What GOOD is it ANYWAY.....???
    It's good for shooting marauding squirrels off my cabin, such as I had to do this morning. I'm almost out tho, so I may have to have some shipped up from Outside.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Hmmm, I've largely given up on the .22 myself. I dearly love it, but the economics to justify it just isn't there anymore for the amount of hassle feeding it takes.

I've been using a .22 air rifle this summer and it kills small game just fine, it is reasonably accurate and comes with a built in suppressor so I don't freak out my neighbors potting squirrels out of the shed and the feeder. For pest control it is just fine. For shooting practice, it does just fine. If I were starting my shooting career over, I'd likely just get a good grade pre charge pneumatic and be done with it.

For meat out in camp, I've largely used the last couple of years to become a better shotgunner. It works and is something of an enjoyable pastime in itself.

I'm not to the point I'm going to unload my .22s, but they don't get the use they used to. My Bearcat will still do trapline duty and I've got enough ammo on hand for that for longer than I'll ever do it and enough to see my way to potting the odd grouse when they get too spooky to get within 20ga range.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

After some serious "pondering" on the "What's it good for " question, I came to this conclusion....

It is just plain fun to plink with and when I have any of my 22's in my hand I can go back to being that kid that was so excited to have that first rifle! Practical, maybe not, good for my mental health - you betcha!!! I will keep mine and likely add to the pile...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

No doubt you're onto something. I have some very fine 22LR rifles, but I bet I haven't put a box of shells total through them in the last 10 years. Same for handguns, though I've shot them a lot in comparison..... Something like 2 or 3 boxes of shells in the same 10 years. Plenty of ammo sitting on the shelf, but I haven't bought a round in those same 10 years. Speculators and scalpers are more than welcome to "my" share on the market.

I've just moved on to other guns and rounds for the same uses. They're better, and I enjoy them more.

I'm hanging onto my guns to pass along to the next generation, or my 22's would be on the market, too.

Been killing the marauding squirrels around here lately with a pump master bb gun. Works just fine and doesn't alert the neighbors.....

Release Lake Trout

I have 4 grandsons from 4 to 13 years old and they all have 22s some of them more than one. I have an almost 3 year old grandson and one due in September. That probably won't be the end of them either. We will keep the 22 market going for the foreseeable future. I also have a pair of Annie Oakley's in the makings.

AGL4now, I've sold some scatterguns to fund 22 fodder. I'm living them and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have 4 grandsons from 4 to 13 years old and they all have 22s some of them more than one.
    Now you're talking. That's why mine are being passed on. Their most important use in my world is kid guns. Our granddaughter has mostly moved on to fastpitch softball every spare moment in her teens, or I'm sure our 22 ammo consumption would be up. She's the reason all those shiny 22's are still in the house. Here's hoping she passes them and the joy of shooting along to her own kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    After some serious "pondering" on the "What's it good for " question, I came to this conclusion....

It is just plain fun to plink with and when I have any of my 22's in my hand I can go back to being that kid that was so excited to have that first rifle! Practical, maybe not, good for my mental health - you betcha!!! I will keep mine and likely add to the pile...
    ^^^ This.

There are guns that have utility and there are guns for fun. I've always told people my .22's are the funnest guns I have. Mine will stay put until such time as they are passed along to my kids. And when each of the kids gets married, they will leave the house with a pistol and a .22lr rifle to start them off.

NOTE: Everyone does not have children to leave things.

Talking

Thank goodness for that !!!!

Having never been a plinker or paper shooter my 22 still does today what it did 60 years ago. Perfect for the day or two fresh meat during the warmer times of the year.In the cold trapline and fresh birds keep the 22 going.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If you've sold $10k in firearms over the last year and still feel you have more to sell? I will just say, I'm open for adoption!

Well, if your 50'some y/o female, with good dog and/or canoe, can shoot straight and fast, and not to double'butt ugly. Send PM photo of the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    If you've sold $10k in firearms over the last year and still feel you have more to sell? I will just say, I'm open for adoption!

I'm up for adoption! I'm house broke(mostly). I'm a kid at heart and according to my wife I am in about every other area too. I can split a lot of wood in just a little while. I will clean your guns and clean up my plate. Can I start calling you Pappy? Huh? Can I? OK maybe not....but your welcomed at my house for Thanksgiving or most any other time too! I know good people when I see em err or shoot the gun breeze with them on some computer deal about Alaska and stuff. I'm pretty sure we are eyeball to eyeball on where this world is headed too! That's important!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Now you're talking. That's why mine are being passed on. Their most important use in my world is kid guns. Our granddaughter has mostly moved on to fastpitch softball every spare moment in her teens, or I'm sure our 22 ammo consumption would be up. She's the reason all those shiny 22's are still in the house. Here's hoping she passes them and the joy of shooting along to her own kids.
    Thats cool! I used to pitch fast pitch softball myself. I have two local girls that want me to teach them how to pitch now! I could throw an 85mph rise ball back in the day. I'm scared to think what would happen if I tried to throw one like that now. I played 100 games every summer for 12 years. It was a good thing in my life!

I have a bunch of 22s although I don't shoot them much. I probably don't shoot more than 200/300 rds a year as I just don't plink much. I have never in my 66 years taken a brick of 22 and shot it up in one cession. At this rate I have plenty of 22 to last my lifetime and quite a few for the grandkids to get started with. When the grandkids start shooting my ammo like it's free they are going to learn to cast boolits and reload or shoot the 32cal muzzle stuffer. I tried a break barrel pellet gun but the accuracy isn't that good even with pellets that cost more than 22lr. I'll keep my 22s until it's time to pass them on. I have 4 grand kids all boys and I hope to be able to gift each with a pistol a rifle and a case of 22lr. I'm thinking 22lr should be available sometime in the next 15 or 20 years. I have managed to pick up several bricks of 22 over the last couple of years so I actually have more now than I did when the shortage started. What good is a 22? They are about as good as it gets for shooting grouse, rabbits, ptarmigan or the like without destroying the edible parts. Lately I've been using a Win 92 in 25/20 a lot as a replacement for the 22 and it does have a lot more bang for the buck but sometimes it's just more than needed.

No digs against the 22 on my part. It's just that there are sooooo many equal or better alternatives when you're a reloader. When you're a bullet caster. When you have other calibers and guns to choose from. In the last 10 years of shooting less than a box of shells through my 22's, I've probably averaged 500 rounds a year through my 25/20. And my 32/20. and double or triple that through my 30, 32 and 36 caliber traditional muzzleloaders. That doesn't even consider all the reduced velocity loads I use for small game and plinking in my larger centerfires and sidelock muzzleloaders.

Two or three types of guns filling the same niche, so it's pretty easy to drift away from the 22's. And avoid all the caterwalling and conniving by the hoarders and sharks plaguing the 22 world.

While I do not hunt with a 22lr as much as I used to, I still shoot it a fair amount, leading up to hunting season. I do a fair amount of off hand practice, shooting form the kneeling position. While it is NOT my hunting rifle, it still get the basics, refreshed!

I'll never give up all my .22's...love em too much!! I just got back from shooting next to #2 son who was shooting paper at 200 yds...I had one of my CZ 452's and I was shooting rocks and soda cans at 200 yds. I didn't hit that many but it sure was fun trying. The wind was blowing at 10 kts or so and it was a great training session doping the wind and getting on target that far away. It's not like 600yds with a .308...it's better!!!

22's forever!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast