Thread: What do you shoot all year?

Default What do you shoot all year?

From your big bore handguns of course. I shoot my hunting loads because they are the most accurate. I have never found a light load as good.
    Then I have taught many to shoot and found going from a .22 to a .38 and a .357 to the .44 did not work. Each step had the students brain yell "RECOIL." I found to start BIG first with proper instruction is better. Once they see it is not that bad and get used to it, they shoot better with any gun.
    Friends son was here and I was shooting my BFR in .500 JRH. He was afraid of it until I showed it could be shot with one hand. He took it and soon was busting pop cans at 50 every shot. He then took his fathers .454 Freedom and was hitting cans at 100 off hand. Now he does not even care for a .44 mag.
    I have seen so many get better from reverse training then from starting with baby guns.
    Since my revolvers are for hunting it is best to shoot those loads even if at jugs of water.
    Cost some will say but most are a dime a shot to a max of 13 cents. I see Garret loads are $2 a shot. You can shoot a 50 BMG for that.

I have a favorite load for my .44 that is what I shoot the most and pack for bears. But I will empty out boxes of miscellaneous ammo just for fun, and then reload the brass.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Well, from my 4" 454 Redhawk I'm shooting my 355gr at about 1300fps. My "go to" load.

45 Colt 7.5" SBH Hunter same boolit at 1200ish and a 255er standard 45 Colt load at 950ish. But I recently experimented with that same boolit (255gr I cast from a Lee mold) over a case full of H110. Very good results for a "light load".

In a couple weeks I'll be working up loads and "breaking in" my 500L so things will change up.

Light load results when working up the load. This one deserves more shooting. 2X scope, plane base 255gr cast from wheel weights 1430ish fps avg. Loaded with Lee dies in a 4 hole Lee Turret press. Pretty good results from the so-called "cheapo Lee stuff". hmmm.... more like Cheap but effective

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Actually, I hate to cast and load so time spent has to be the best I can make.
    Now free stuff is different.
    Loading to me is like wearing a sombrero and picking berries. Cutting and splitting wood too. Cutting grass or cleaning gutters.
    Darn it is so boring. To just make noise and waste a shot is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Well, from my 4" 454 Redhawk I'm shooting my 355gr at about 1300fps. My "go to" load.

45 Colt 7.5" SBH Hunter same boolit at 1200ish and a 255er standard 45 Colt load at 950ish. But I recently experimented with that same boolit (255gr I cast from a Lee mold) over a case full of H110. Very good results for a "light load".

In a couple weeks I'll be working up loads and "breaking in" my 500L so things will change up.

Light load results when working up the load. This one deserves more shooting. 2X scope, plane base 255gr 1430ish fps avg.

That Hunter is one of the finest ever as is the SRH. Good shooting. I wait to hear about the new gun.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    From your big bore handguns of course. I shoot my hunting loads because they are the most accurate. I have never found a light load as good.
    Then I have taught many to shoot and found going from a .22 to a .38 and a .357 to the .44 did not work. Each step had the students brain yell "RECOIL." I found to start BIG first with proper instruction is better. Once they see it is not that bad and get used to it, they shoot better with any gun.
    Friends son was here and I was shooting my BFR in .500 JRH. He was afraid of it until I showed it could be shot with one hand. He took it and soon was busting pop cans at 50 every shot. He then took his fathers .454 Freedom and was hitting cans at 100 off hand. Now he does not even care for a .44 mag.
    I have seen so many get better from reverse training then from starting with baby guns.
    Since my revolvers are for hunting it is best to shoot those loads even if at jugs of water.
    Cost some will say but most are a dime a shot to a max of 13 cents. I see Garret loads are $2 a shot. You can shoot a 50 BMG for that.
    That's very interesting. As to myself, I'm already concerned about recoil.

I can certainly agree that it's best to practice with my carry load than a light load.

Thanks
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I shoot the old .45 ACP the most, hardly a "big bore" compared to the many boomer hand guns available in this day and age. I own several .45 ACP pistols and it must be my favorite hand gun cartridge since I shoot it the most. Some thing about the 1911 and a couple of the .45 Glock's just makes me all warm and fuzzy when they are on my hip or in my hand.

I like my S&W .44 Mag. Mountain Gun, but even though I mainly shoot 280 LBT hard casts out of it, which is light compared to most of the "big boomers", it just ain't as much fun as the .45 ACP.

My normal round at the range is a HSM 325g hardcast 454 Casull. Affordable and about 70% of the power available from the caliber. I actually find it to be pretty mild compared to some others such as the Double Tap 400g hardcast. When I originally received the gun I was nervous but got over it in a couple range sessions. My Ruger LCR .357 with 180g loads hurts much more. LOL

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I shoot about 500-900 rounds a month, so there is a need for me to reload. The two guns that I shoot the most are a Glock G20sf(10mm) and a Glock 21(45acp). Throw in the some 9mm, 40 S&W, 45-70 cast loads, 243 Winchester and during the summer months, leading up to hunting season some 338WM. It helps to have a shooting range off ones back deck!

I'm all about revolvers because I despise crawling around chasing brass. Since my shooting is always in the field, I manage to lose about half of all semiauto brass, so that's also a big factor.

I've found about a zillion light and midrange loads that work for me. I shoot those for economy and brass life, as well as better shooting practice. I'll usually finish a shooting session with a box or two of full power loads, but for every box of full power I probably shoot five lights or mids. My shooting sessions are more scattered lately, but most run to 500 or 600 rounds. If I wasn't a reloader and caster, I'd probably quit shooting handguns altogether. Just not possible for me to sustain my proficiency with an occasional box here and there. In my mind, if a guy isn't really good at shooting a handgun, there's really no point in owning one.

When they quit making wheel weights out lead I though it was the beginning of the end for us cast bullet shooters. I had a bunch of telephone cable lead but it was only suitable for sinkers and musket balls. Then I bought a 5 gallon bucket full of Linotype ingots for $50. I'm set for a long time. With 22 ammo costing what they do I have been shooting gas checked 245 grain bullets at deer hunting velocity out of my long barreled Super Blackhawk. I use my Blackhawk in leu of a shotgun during Iowa's deer season. I shoot about 100 rounds each trip to the range which is once a week on the average. I usually take a centerfire rifle along and shoot 20-50 rounds through it depending on what I take.