Thread: Getting gear back and forth to kodiak

Default Getting gear back and forth to kodiak

So I have a brown bear hunt coming up in October.
    My question is...
    What is the best option to get my gear there and my hide and hopefully deer back to soldotna. It doesn't look like the ferry is going to be an option to me.
    What's the most affordable route you have found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My limited experience; I became a known shipper with Alaska Airline and shipped the gear as cargo to my flight service. Becoming a known shipper in itself is a pain but I couldn't find another option. NAC doesn't fly there. I'm sure there are other options but I couldn't figure it out at the time. An option for the hide is a big cooler and ship as baggage. Sorry I can't help more.

Ya, the ferry or plane are you only real options, with the ferry being the most affordable IMO.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Who is your transporter? I know that Andrews has a freezer. I just pack meat & hides in meat boxes or totes, leave it in Andrew's freezer and they will drop it at the airline when there is space on a plane for it to ship. I was a known shipper and lost the meat from 5 deer due to ak air's screw up.

Having spent 19 of the past 24 months back and forth to Kodiak from Fairbanks, I got some first-hand experience in moving stuff to and from. #1 Kodiak's an expense, so if you have your bear hunt set up and paid for --- and it's not a road system hunt --- then you're likely spending more to fly from the city of Kodiak to where ever you're hunting than you will be to get there, so I hear ya on saving nickles. The ferry is really the best option; take a pick-up with coolers (and your fishing gear . . . late run silvers on the Olds or Pillar are fun and still get some bright ones).

If you fly AK air, you get three checked and your carry-ons. Paying for a 4th or 5th (getting fish boxes or packing boxes at Kodiak WalMart) is not that bad on the return if you succeed in getting deer and your bear.

Otherwise, sending your products through Ravn or Alaska Air Cargo is the best option. Their office is right next to the terminal doors at Kodiak, so pop in and ask them what they can do. Mack's may also have an idea of how folks get game shipped back . . . so maybe ask them?

I just checked my deer and bear as luggage when I flew back to anchorage. Being Military I get 5 free checked bags so it didn't cost me anything. I think there is a similar deal if you're a member of the club 49. Each cooler has to be under either 100 or 90 pounds, I can't remember which. I flew out with Andrews air and used their walk in freezer after I got back from the hunt so the meat was plenty cold when we checked the bags.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Who is your transporter? I know that Andrews has a freezer. I just pack meat & hides in meat boxes or totes, leave it in Andrew's freezer and they will drop it at the airline when there is space on a plane for it to ship. I was a known shipper and lost the meat from 5 deer due to ak air's screw up.
    I'm flying out with Seahawk Air Service.

Thanks for the knowledge sharing gents.
    This hunt is costing a fortune lol. But it's once in a lifetime for me, so the memories will outweigh the cost by far!

You might try servant air, I think they do charters, they can pick you and your gear up in Anchorage and when your done hunting fly everything back. I don't see why he couldn't pick you up in Soldotna. Talk to Wes.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post

I'd check with them to see if they can arrange anything for you. AK Air has a freezer/cooler, BUT depending on the timing of your hunt, fish (commercial) may take priority over your meat. It will also take priority as far as being flown. Meat left sitting on the tarmac for a few days might make your dog wag his tail - even if its only fit to roll in.

I always use http://www.aceaircargo.com/. They're convenient, easy to deal with, and they have a freezer. They operate two round trip flights a day between Anchorage and Kodiak, 6 days a week. About .85 cents/pound Anchorage to Kodiak and .43 cents/pound back. I think their hazmat fee is $25 per load.

On your return throw all your camping gear in a box and mail it usps 3rd class. Its really cheep and then you can use your check baggage with your alaska air for your meat and trophy. I sent some gear 3rd class one time from Kodiak to Seward and it beat me to Seward.

Thanks for the information guys.

Excellent choice, Roland is a top notch professional pilot. We used him for four of our deer hunts on Kodiak a few years back. Their office is incredibly friendly and helpful as well.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy907 View Post
    Excellent choice, Roland is a top notch professional pilot. We used him for four of our deer hunts on Kodiak a few years back. Their office is incredibly friendly and helpful as well.

Randy
    Thanks, he came highly recommended!