Thread: Question on bringing a boat to Alaska.

Default Question on bringing a boat to Alaska.

Alright folks, this is my first post on this forum. Long story short, I recently bought a boat, a bass boat. Found out shortly after I will be moving(pcsing) to Anchorage. My question is will it be worth having with me? I have noticed that everyone seems to use aluminum boats and was wondering if there is a particular reason why nobody uses any bass boats up there besides of the reason there are no bass. Any input is welcome. Thanks for your time!

Bigake2011

Need more info on your bass boat. Kinda like us saying a riverboat. Could be a 12' Jon boat with a 10hp prop. Or a 20' welded aluminum with a 200hp jet. Or a 28' with a 454 inboard jet. Each very different boats. Some bass boats wouldn't be totally useless here. Some are and you wouldn't be able to give it away up here in this market once you realize your error in bringing it up.

The boat is a Stratos 275.--17.5ft It has a 115 hp outboard, 80lb minnkota trolling motor on the front. The boat is fiberglass.

Quote Originally Posted by bigake2011 View Post
    The boat is a Stratos 275.--17.5ft It has a 115 hp outboard, 80lb minnkota trolling motor on the front. The boat is fiberglass.
    Id sell it down there. Little or no market for a boat like that. Not usable on the rivers and limited usability on the ocean.

This is coming from a guy who sold an 18' crestliner walleye boat before I moved up here in April.

I agree. It would make decent ski boat for 2 months out of the year. About the only thing it would be useful for here. You'd be lucky to get $2k for that here once you figure out it doesn't belong here.

As others have said, I'd say sell that boat too, then decide where you want to fish, Ocean or River? Some boats with sorta do both. Boats are way cheaper down south so if you tell us where your going on what you want to fish you'd be wise to pickup a proper boat on your way up!

I 100% agree with everyone above. Limon has a good point too. If you have the ability to tow a boat up and will be driving up through Washington you might want to look at purchasing a boat there and towing it up. You will save several thousand that way.

Good luck on the move.

well, to be honest I was thinking freshwater, river and lakes. But if I could get one that I could hit the ocean on a calm day, that would be awesome too. I found a guy who may be interested in a trade for my boat. http://shreveport.craigslist.org/boa/5057725019.html Its a 18 foot aluminum.

I wouldn't take that aluminum boat out on the ocean even on a calm day because the weather is just too unpredictable.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

What would be the ideal boat then?

That is kinda like asking what is the perfect vehicle for Alaska. It depends on what you want to haul, who you want to haul and where you want to go. Same thing with a boat. For an ocean boat there are lots of options. I've had both fiberglass and metal and there are positives and negative with both. Right now I have a nice big metal boat with a 300 Yami on the back and I couldn't be happier. Although there are folks who will disagree I would be very careful in going out into saltwater with a boat that doesn't have much freeboard. Not only can the weather change quickly but boating where most of us go you are going to have to deal with much larger boats with some significant wakes (especially near shore). As far a saving money on trailering a boat from down south versus buying one here, our local dealer told me he would match the price of the exact same boat in Washington FOB Anchorage. And HE DID!
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    As far a saving money on trailering a boat from down south versus buying one here, our local dealer told me he would match the price of the exact same boat in Washington FOB Anchorage. And HE DID!
    My suggestion on bringing up a boat was in regard to used market, I know nothing about the new market!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would be the ideal boat then?
    There is no one ideal boat. If you get one boat and try to do it all then the boat will be a compromise for all and ideal for none.

If you want to try a one boat set up then I would say you need to message Stid as he's probably come as close to that goal as anyone I've ever seen.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

well, to be honest I was thinking freshwater, river and lakes. But if I could get one that I could hit the ocean on a calm day, that would be awesome too.
    That's just it.....you "think" freshwater now but when guys are hammering the kings and halibut out in the salt.......believe me, you'll want to do that. Personally I have an 18' Valco Bayrunner that I use in the salt and lakes. It has a little higher sides and is a semi "v" so takes the chop a bit better than a flat bottom. Even at that I have to pick my days to go out in the salt. But I've had very good luck with it. It's also nice because it's light enough that I can launch and trailer it off the beach. Understand also that there are a few big lakes up here and they can get nasty in a hurry. The only way I would own a flat bottom boat up here would be if the fishing and moose hunting I did was always on rivers.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If I were to do it over, I'd buy a 20' hewes sportsman, as mentioned it's a compromise on both the river and the ocean but it will get you both places just fine if you pick your days. My #2 pick would be an 18' Alumaweld Talon. Assuming you want to fish the Kenai, they need to be outfitted with a 4 stroke 50hp.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    If I were to do it over, I'd buy a 20' hewes sportsman, as mentioned it's a compromise on both the river and the ocean but it will get you both places just fine if you pick your days. My #2 pick would be an 18' Alumaweld Talon. Assuming you want to fish the Kenai, they need to be outfitted with a 4 stroke 50hp.

I spent the last two days in one ofh the ode 20' Hewes. Crossed Bristol Bay in fairly rough (but not scary rough) water and went a good ways up the Nushagak. Salt and fresh. I'm thinking of getting one, but I can already tell it wouldn't be best moose boat, but I have an inflatable for
    moose.

I appreciate all the input folks. I have a lot of thinking to do.

I appreciate all the input folks. I have a lot of thinking to do.
    It's great your asking ahead of time! I've owned three boats in 8 years here and I'm looking fort 4th...

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I wouldn't take that aluminum boat out on the ocean even on a calm day because the weather is just too unpredictable.
    The link on the boat is no longer active, but my 2 cents on the aluminum boat are: I fished my Kenai river Alumaweld out of deep creek for years. I never had an issue but I never went out more that 10 miles. You certainly need to pick the days but I don't go out in rough weather with my big boat even now. Ive certainly seen some questionable boats out on the big water, but if the aluminum boat he was looking at was decent then I wouldn't hesitate to go out of homer or seward for short trips.

Free advice being worth about what you pay for it. Here's my thoughts. 1) it's a given that use of/for a fiberglass Bass Boat Would be greatly restricted in AK. 2) As far as buying Something "down there" for use "up here".. that's debatable. My thoughts on that, and I've done a little research on it are: Where as it's probably true you can find a good used boat in the Lower 48 for a little less than what you'd pay for one in AK. However, the cost of getting (towing, barging, etc) that boat to AK will probably offset any savings you obtained in the purchase price. The OP stated he was "PCS'ng" to AK and thus proves he's Military, There is a very large population of Military in AK and they are always "PCS'ng" out and have all kinds of Alaskan type toys for sale. So my expensive advice to the OP would be to sell the Bass Boat "down there" and wait til he gets to AK and has an opportunity to look around. Also keep in mind he's Military and has the option of renting an MWR boat, until such time he may want to buy his own…

Thank You for your Service…