Thread: Yamaha 2011 F50 outboard won't cool, help?

Default Yamaha 2011 F50 outboard won't cool, help?

I have a 2011 yamaha F50 outboard that keeps over heating. The tell tale water flow is reduced and is coming out very hot after just a few minutes before I get the overheat alarm. I have pulled apart the water pump and replaced everything, pulled all the hoses and flushed them and still can't get it to cool. I found a nice sand bar last week with my jet and I think I have sucked up a fair amount of sand which has settled in the engine. Ive been flushing it with the fresh water hookup and also with muffs with the engine running and its not doing much to improve. I do get a small amount of sand out every time, so I know its sand. Just don't know where else in the cooling system to go or how to take it apart.
    And of course every service in Town is 4-5 weeks booked and hunting season is around the corner.

Suggestions or thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks

Check the pee hole itself I have had a small rock plug up the hole and restrict flow. Not the hose but the actual plastic piece the water comes out of.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

X's 2 on what Tony said. That angle before the tube could be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Tony Ive gone as far as removing all the water hoses and blowing them out. The clog has to be inside the engine somewhere. Just not sure where....

Start by reaching a toothpick or similar up into the peehole and hogging it around before you do anything else. BTDT.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear
    Start by reaching a toothpick or similar up into the peehole and hogging it around before you do anything else. BTDT.
    ouch, that's gotta hurt

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Then smack in on the tip end with a rubber mallet.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I know on my buddy's 20 hp his water line runs through his fuel pump to cool it and his was clogged up real bad and was having the same problem. Not sure if your is the same way but may want to check that.

Your cooling line doesn't go through the fuel pump on that motor, but it does go through a fuel cooler which can become clogged. Look for the silver box behind the air intake with 4 water lines and 2 fuel lines going to it, try to flush through that. Also, remove your thermostat and run water through your freshwater flush attachment, you may get more sand and debris out of the block with the thermostat pulled out, they can collect a lot of debris.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

As akfish said there are some cooling lines on the fuel rail/cooler. I am not familiar with the 150, but I had a 115 with jet and after dredging the bottom of the Wood river I plugged up some of those lines. I unhooked and finally managed to run some tie-wire through them to get them opened up. Seems like there was a lot of small (3/16") sized fuel lines on that motor.

It was a PIA and started carrying extra lines in clear so I could see when they were getting plugged, I never needed them after that as I managed to stay off the bottom......!

I have also noticed my DF 140 (White Suzuki) has overheat issues every year in Chitina, I am convinced it is the silt/sand in the river and the fact we are drifting along & on/off the throttle. At low flow sand is plugging or settling in somewhere and causing a alarm. Only happens at Chitina...
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR