Thread: More shrimpin questions?

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default More shrimpin questions?

I have procured 3 shrimp pots they are constructed from some square coated about 1" wire mesh. They were pretty light so I added some weight bars to them. I am going to be shrimping in the Ketchikan area. I have bought a 1800' roll of 5/16" sinking line. I have been told to run 600' of line. My question is should I cut this line into smaller shots and then link them together it seems like 600' of line in one piece will be hard to manage? I was thinking if I cut them into several shots I would make them 25 fathoms each with a large spliced eye in each end to easily link the shots back together. I have a capstan type pot puller. I know the connection points of the shots will pass through the capstan I have a lot of experience running capstans (electric Lineman for 23 years).

I have my crab pots rigged this way but I am only using 10 fathom shots with my crab pots. Most of the time crabing I crab inside the bays or rivers of Oregon & Washington so 10 fathoms is plenty but when I do drop them in the ocean I just add a second or third shot to the pot but never anything like a 100 fathom chunk of line. I just don't want to cut the line into smaller shots if that is not a good way to do it. I guess if it doesn't work out I could just end splice it back together.

I have also not made up my mind if I should run a separate rope for each pot or string the 3 on one line. I have experience with rope and splicing and running capstans but I have never shrimped before.

I leave for Ketchikan in less than 2 weeks so I am just trying to get all my gear ready.

Thanks Mike

Thumbs up Hey, a line hand

Gundog,
    I am just learning to shrimp also. I am also a lineman (27 yrs). I went out 2 weeks ago and threw my pots in for the first time. I had done it before, but always had an experienced hand around.
    The 600 feet of line went into a large tub, the next 600 went on top of that one. I never had a tangle and being a lineman you won't either. It's mostly common sense. If there isn't room for a tub, a 5 gallon bucket will hold about 3-400 feet no problem.
    On one set I did use a couple of shorter lines and just tied them together, again, no problems. I just tied a bowline and tucked the tail. I had 2 pots to a line and it worked great. My little puller is too light to do more than 2. I was also hanging a collapsible anchor between the buoy and the first pot. I had been told it cuts the vibration the current sends from the buoy to the first pot. Who knows if it matters.
    I haven't found "my spot" yet, but I was eating shrimp and they were huge.
    Are you going to be working in Ketch or just playing?

Good luck and post after your trip.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thanks bullbuster,
    I am just going to be playing for a couple weeks.
    Mike

I'd recomend two 50 fathom shots, 50 fathoms is pretty dang easy to handle. If you have a buddy have them coil while you pull otherwise pull into a tub or something (an old half cylinder plastic gas barrel works great)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I have two pots on one line and 3 on another. Line for each is 800 feet. When you bring in your pots, just feed the line into a heavy duty (3 mil) trash bag. Don't worry about coiling it. Never had a tangle. One bag per line.

Thanks for the info. Can anyone post a picture of how you rig more than one pot to a line?
    Thanks Mike

I don't have a picture but my mainline is 600', bouy on one end and a clip at the other that attaches to my first pot and a 50' line, the 50' line is then attached to another pot and another 50' line with the 3rd pot at the end of that line. Same thing on the other set minus 1 pot. Hope that makes sense.

Default Halibut clips

You put a halibut clip on the rope attached to each pot. I also place a loop in the end of the line with the bouy. First pot gets cliped onto the loop. As the line goes out, (boat in at slow speed) usually about 50 feet apart, I attack another pot via the halibut clip until all pots are out. Just make sure that you have enough line left from the last pot, to the surface for the bouy. I run a 700' line.

Someone was selling stainless halibut clips in the trading forum.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Gundog

Currently shrimping is good in Ketch., but don't forget your salmon and halibut gear, EVERYTHING seems to be biting. My son is an apprentice lineman here in Ketchikan. Look for him on the water in "Straight Shot".

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Currently shrimping is good in Ketch., but don't forget your salmon and halibut gear, EVERYTHING seems to be biting. My son is an apprentice lineman here in Ketchikan. Look for him on the water in "Straight Shot".

kingfisherktn
    That is great news we are leaving Friday. I remember my apprenticeship many moons ago. I have all my crabbing/shrimp gear and poles for halibut salmon and the works loaded in the boat. I even built a halibut harpoon just in case we catch a big one. I made some new gaffs as well.
    Mike