Thread: 40 Mile Air/Jetboil use.

Default 40 Mile Air/Jetboil use.

Flying out with 40 Mile Air this year and was curious what others used for a stove. I've been using my Jetboil but FAA says you can't fly with Jetboil or similar fuel cans so I'm looking for an alternative. It's a 12 day hunt so I might forgo stove altogether but they can be nice at times. I've looked into the adapters that will allow you to use the green Coleman propane but I have no experience on how well they work. If anyone has any suggestions or what you have used when flying out with 40 Mile or other air charters I'd appreciate hearing it.

If you are flying in a float plane, they can put the fuel canisters (and also bear spray) in the floats.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    If you are flying in a float plane, they can put the fuel canisters (and also bear spray) in the floats.
    I don't think the pressurized Butane canisters are allowed in the floats either. you can carry 5 gallons of gas on the plane but not the little butane canisters...doesn't make sense.
    when I flew with 40 mile air for our moose hunt, we used a MSR whisperlite white gas stove. you are allowed to fly with the white gas in the floats too. we used about 3/4 gallon for 2 guys for 10 days in cold weather.

Yeah I won't be flying on floats and was wanting to avoid white gas but that might be the route we've got to go. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by fish-hunter View Post
    I don't think the pressurized Butane canisters are allowed in the floats either.
    Interesting. I've flown out with 2 different charters in the last 2 years and they had us put our jetboil butane fuel in the floats.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I flew in with them on a sheep hunt a couple years ago, I did the wisperlite with the white gas as well. Worked out great, you just have to plan for the extra weight of the fuel bottle. I had the big MSR bottle, we were out for a week and didn't go through the whole bottle. This was the beginning of sheep season time frame, so it was warm out. We also had a couple campfires to cook on, so some nights we didn't use the stove.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Interesting. I've flown out with 2 different charters in the last 2 years and they had us put our jetboil butane fuel in the floats.
    We flew with 40 Mile air in 2011 and they had just started enforcing the "no pressurized butane" rule. supposedly it has been an FAA regulation for a long time, but they had just started enforcing it. even made us sign a form saying we didn't have any.
    we flew with another charter service in 2013 and they didn't seem to care what fuel we had.

Last air charter I used said " I know you don't have any butane canisters BUT if you did I would put those bags in this compartment ". Then walked away with the compartment door left open. Wink wink
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

I use a Whisperlite International. While I love the propane and JetBoil systems, their use in Alaska can be tough due to the flight rules. With the Whisperlite International I can burn white gas, av gas, unleaded, and even Jet A or Jet B fuels. That pretty much covers everywhere in Alaska. In fact, I took a quart of avgas out of the wing tank of one of 40 Mile's cubs years ago when I needed it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Keep in mind that 40 mile has a different kind of operation than other carriers. They have scheduled flights and thus more rules.

Whisperlites are a great stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done several hunts with 40 Mile, always take the easy route - pay for the extra gear load and bring Coleman canisters and a 2-burner stove. I give props to the guys who do a 5-7 day hunt with just the 50 pounds of gear and food, but I like a little more food and an extra tent, just in case.

Best of luck to all, won't be long now!