Thread: valdez trip.

Default valdez trip.

Went to valdez 6-10th. Took the kayaks bought a pole and all the equipment to do so salmon trolling. So we get down there get all set up at Allison point and decieded to take the 16 year old out for a test run before the wife and other little ones out. we get out about 100 yards out from shore the waves aren't bad I turn the boats nose to the shore and my boy starts fishing then I hear what sounds like a whale surfacing. I turn to the right and kind of behind me and see what looks like a brown bear coming out of the water about 30 ft from us. Its a huge sea lion as big or bigger than the kayak. I say holy crap and turn into a olympic rower and paddle back to the shore. Get back to the trailer after the heart starts pumping and the wife said she saw him following us and then sees me paddling like crazy to get to shore then starts to laughing, crying and about pee herself for about 15 min. Not funny to us at the time. Well that ends my kayaking in ocean trips. Watching the vidoes of kardinal84 catching silvers from the kayak in valdez looked so cool but I must have missed the sea lions in that video.

Wow. That's a bummer. I have not encountered Sea Lions in Valdez during the Silver Season around Labor day. But I have been harassed by them out of Seward and the Inlet. I consider them the scariest thing to encounter while on the water. They are definitely territorial AND curious. On the Saltwater, the only means of protection I have is my harpoon shaft. That's too close. Folks on the Columbia River get harassed as soon as they hook a salmon. They have Great White Sharks to contend with too. It's definitely a reason I don't mind having a few powerboats around.

One of the anglers this weekend did get a visit by a 6 to 8ft Salmon Shark off Anchor Point. She definitely had an elevated Adrenalin count.

I guess my only advice would be to stick with it. It's sort of like saying you had an encounter with a grizzly at Russian River and so you aren't ever going to fish again there. I think that'd be a mistake. Not trying to minimize the scare you had. I am absolutely SURE that it was scary!! We have had our run ins, and I hear a ton more stories from down south, but to date, I am unaware of any actual dangerous encounters. Always need to realize there are other animals out there looking fro an easy meal as well. Many are bigger than us...AND the kayaks!

Lol I'm the product of the jaws movie era. I don't swim well and would probably have a heart attack if I went in the water. Yeah I had myself talked into going out again couple days later but my 16 old wasn't having it and the wife told the 8 year old not a chance. He wanted to go bad. We were not far from the hatchery and the sea lions loved it there had to be 8 of them there. Where did you fish at?

After I watched Jaws ( I was 9 years old) I couldn't even sit on a toilet seat without freaking out! lol.

I have never fished by the hatchery. I fish the "other side" by the ferry terminal out to Gold Creek. I wonder if bear spray would work on Sea Lions?

I talked to one of the kayak tour guides and he said slap the water with the paddle. He was laughing said he has had them jump over the kayak and they bluff charge them all the time. He says they are just curious. We are going to valdez for silvers so we will have to check out that side.