Thread: Kenai brown bear fall season?

Default Kenai brown bear fall season?

I've herd rumors that there may be a fall season for brownies on the refuge but so far it's been only rumors. Has anyone herd anything for sure? Or are the feds going to keep us bent over the barrel for yet another season and allow the population to keep exploding.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I haven't heard these rumors but I can say that my home is 50 feet from the refuge and I do a lot of hiking through it and haven't even seen Brown bear sign but always hear people saying how there are too many of them. I guess I am missing something...

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I haven't heard these rumors but I can say that my home is 50 feet from the refuge and I do a lot of hiking through it and haven't even seen Brown bear sign but always hear people saying how there are too many of them. I guess I am missing something...
    You don't by chance work at the refuge do you?

I see posts like this on the threads that are talking about too many brown bears on the peninsula and to you I say either you don't get out much, you don't look when you are out, or you're being sarcastic. I can take you on a walk near my house in sterling on any given day and show you several different brown bear tracks within just a few miles and I'm not remote either. If you want to see a brown bear set up a bait station anywhere on the peninsula and you will find plenty of bears. I gave up baiting a few years back because each year I got less and less black bears and more and more brown bears.
    It's obvious the refuge folks have a hard time believing the existence of the peninsula brown bear as well.

I see posts like this on the threads that are talking about too many brown bears on the peninsula and to you I say either you don't get out much, you don't look when you are out, or you're being sarcastic. I can take you on a walk near my house in sterling on any given day and show you several different brown bear tracks within just a few miles and I'm not remote either. If you want to see a brown bear set up a bait station anywhere on the peninsula and you will find plenty of bears. I gave up baiting a few years back because each year I got less and less black bears and more and more brown bears.
    It's obvious the refuge folks have a hard time believing the existence of the peninsula brown bear as well.

Wow man calm down. I'm not trying to argue and no, I work in the oilfield. Also I must say that I disagree with almost all the policies that the refuge has. With that said I live down three johns street. The Last road before the refuge. I hike at least several miles through it every day an more on the weekends. I wouldn't set up a bait station because I find that type of hunting pretty lame. I have seen black bears, moose and other critters all the time but no brown bears while people are acting like we should be in fear of our lives because they are so thick. I was just curious. The last thing I am sticking up for is the refuge and their regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post

The season is likely to happen, though start dates are not firm. The refuge wo shut the hunt down when either 40 bears and/or eight adult females have been taken. Right now the score is 19 and two.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Homerdave, Where do those kills come from if there hasn't been an open season? Vehicle kills along with defense of life or property?

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    The season is likely to happen, though start dates are not firm. The refuge wo shut the hunt down when either 40 bears and/or eight adult females have been taken. Right now the score is 19 and two.

There was a spring season.

I think they differentiate between spring and fall seasons. last year the fall season closed by EO because the quota was met. Then the spring season this year opened as normal. so I would figure a restart, unless the hunt goes by year and it took that long to fill the quota last year. I believe it was the second weekend in October that they closed it in the fall.

There hasn't been an open season for brown bears on the Refuge since I believe the spring of '14 or fall of '13. I can't remember when they shut it down exactly. It was definitely closed on/in it last fall and this spring. State lands within 7 and 15 will open on Sept. 1st. Best bet would probably be to call the Refuge office. Even though I as well very rarely agree with the Feds decisions, the folks that work the office are usually very helpful. 907-262-7021

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    There hasn't been an open season for brown bears on the Refuge since I believe the spring of '14 or fall of '13. I can't remember when they shut it down exactly. It was definitely closed on/in it last fall and this spring. State lands within 7 and 15 will open on Sept. 1st. Best bet would probably be to call the Refuge office. Even though I as well very rarely agree with the Feds decisions, the folks that work the office are usually very helpful. 907-262-7021
    I called these guys last week and they acted like I was speaking Chinese when I asked about Brown bear hunting on the refuge. Maybe best stop by and ask huh?

I called these guys last week and they acted like I was speaking Chinese when I asked about Brown bear hunting on the refuge. Maybe best stop by and ask huh?
    It may be better to stop by. Though the last time I was there, since I wrote my suggestion above, they were not nearly as helpful as they normally were in the past. I stood at the counter with people looking at me for a number of minutes before anyone acknowledged my presence. I'd go to the old building where they have their offices though and not the new visitors center. I can say with 99.99% confidence though that they will NOT be opening the Refuge lands to Brown Bear hunting anytime in the near future. Although I am just a lowly citizen like most and don't have any authority to back that up. I'd call it more of an educated guess going on past experience.

Just got off the phone with Andy Loranger. The refuge will open until the allowable cap of reproductive age sows is reached.

Just got off the phone with Andy Loranger. The refuge will open until the allowable cap of reproductive age sows is reached.
    Nice. I take it there is some paperwork a guy needs for hunting the refuge? Sorry for the constant questions but the info just seems hard to come by and I figure there is something more to it than "well the refuge guy on the phone said its ok..."

Seriously? Sweet! I never mind being completely wrong with results like that. Like Kevin mentioned though I'd definitely like to see it in writing. I just checked their News Release page and there's nothing on it. Who's Andy Loranger?

Director of the refuge.

I'm amazed he actually talked to you about it! Also amazed they are going to open it, guess i'll have to make my $25 donation again...

Nice. I take it there is some paperwork a guy needs for hunting the refuge? Sorry for the constant questions but the info just seems hard to come by and I figure there is something more to it than "well the refuge guy on the phone said its ok..."
    Watch the news release site, they'll give you about a days warning when they are going to open it. No paperwork, follow the regulations in the state book, UNLESS they come up with something new this season, which is always a possibility but has NOT been the case in the past.