Thread: Getting meat cape and horns back to the lower 48

Default Getting meat cape and horns back to the lower 48

What's the best way to do this? Hunting on kodiak for bou and deer and trying to figure out the best way to get stuff home. Several questions arise.

1. Is there an easy way to donate some of the meat to any type of charity group?
    2. Baggage fees are pricey now. Is it better to buy a big ice chest and pay the overage fees or stick with the fish boxes and pay for each standard box?
    3. Cape and horns??? Cutting skull cap I assume is best then pad the tips and wrap them in plastic wrap?

Any advice we can get would be much appreciated! This will be out first time hunting in this great state! But OMG the planning time and logistics has been more than any other hunt I've ever done!!

1. Talk to your air taxi. They know who will accept meat locally.
    2. Probably cheaper to stay with the meat/fish boxes. Make sure you max them to 50 lbs. Try to have the meat frozen before you put it on the plane. Insure it for a reasonable amount.
    3. Deer horns can probably be shipped in a plastic tote. Along with misc gear,such as clothing. You could use the postal service for this, too. Capes need to be taken care of - fleshed, salted & plastic bagged. They need to be bagged because if the box leaks fluids (blood) the box will be trashed by air baggage handlers. Bou antlers are best handled split. You can fabricate a box to ship them, if you have enough cardboard.

Hope you have enough time at the end of your hunt to get things taken care of.
    Good Luck. Sitka Blacktail meat is the best venison there is - even beats corn-fed whitetail.

Ya we have a whole day and a half after we pull out of the island. And we have looked at post office and ups/fed ex and it seems that Alaska air baggage fees are cheaper than shipping larger boxes back home.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/car...wild-game.aspx

This covers the new freight policies for AK Air and game meat/antler shipping.

Its best to use rubbermaid totes for hauling meat.

The reindeer racks you find on Kodiak could be really wide and you will need to split them. They may not fit into a luggage sized box or bag and will have to go as freight.

Ask the air charter or air carrier, there are also many people at the airport that would love meat! Small community that would be thankful!! You might even be able to talk to the air cargo ladies and see if they can help you with your checked baggage fees for donating it to them

The link provided was for cargo. Don't ship meat/ trophies as cargo! Cargo is low priority. Take as baggage! If need be ship gear back as cargo. Rubbermaid roughneck totes stack inside each/nest other coming and going are great way to transport meat/gear back as checked baggage. Coolers also work but are heavy.

Deer cape and antlers will fit into a tote or cooler, can combine w/ meet and check them.

Caribou/reindeer antlers are not B&C type specie, IMO. Split the skull cap or bring a hacksaw blade to cut one or both antlers off skull if you want to do a euro mount. Make sure to wrap all skull stuff with generous amounts of plastic to prevent smell/leaking blood, will be a pain in your ass if anything has blood leaking!!! Prevent in first place. Airport once again will have cardboard and tape, once again talk to cargo ladies and butter them up w/ meat and they will help take care of you!! Make a box and check it as well.

Good luck.

Getting things back really depends on what airline that you are flying. I bought coolers and spent the time to vaccum pack and freeze it myself a couple of times and one time I had Indian valley process and freeze it and then put it in the coolers. Alaskan airlines is the best because your could get 3 bags. On another airline that i flew I check the prices of each extra bag and then the overages on weight and figured that I could pack 2 coolers to 100 lbs and then the 3rd to 50 lbs to get the cheapest weight per pound cost. Just takes a little figuring and research.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Getting things back really depends on what airline that you are flying. I bought coolers and spent the time to vaccum pack and freeze it myself a couple of times and one time I had Indian valley process and freeze it and then put it in the coolers. Alaskan airlines is the best because your could get 3 bags. On another airline that i flew I check the prices of each extra bag and then the overages on weight and figured that I could pack 2 coolers to 100 lbs and then the 3rd to 50 lbs to get the cheapest weight per pound cost. Just takes a little figuring and research.

I am flying Alaska Airlines and it looks like they are the best from all my research. Guess just have to wait and see now what we kill to figure out what the cheapest way will be once we know what we have to work with. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    Ask the air charter or air carrier, there are also many people at the airport that would love meat! Small community that would be thankful!! You might even be able to talk to the air cargo ladies and see if they can help you with your checked baggage fees for donating it to them

The link provided was for cargo. Don't ship meat/ trophies as cargo! Cargo is low priority. Take as baggage! If need be ship gear back as cargo. Rubbermaid roughneck totes stack inside each/nest other coming and going are great way to transport meat/gear back as checked baggage. Coolers also work but are heavy.

Deer cape and antlers will fit into a tote or cooler, can combine w/ meet and check them.

Caribou/reindeer antlers are not B&C type specie, IMO. Split the skull cap or bring a hacksaw blade to cut one or both antlers off skull if you want to do a euro mount. Make sure to wrap all skull stuff with generous amounts of plastic to prevent smell/leaking blood, will be a pain in your ass if anything has blood leaking!!! Prevent in first place. Airport once again will have cardboard and tape, once again talk to cargo ladies and butter them up w/ meat and they will help take care of you!! Make a box and check it as well.

Good luck.
    thats for the tips! Ya I figured cargo would be for our gear.

Kinda crazy, but you can also donate game meat that has not been processed to the Anchorage Zoo.