Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Fishing, bitter sweet...

Default Kenai Fishing, bitter sweet...

Well this July marked my 50th year fishing the Kenai. About the only thing that has not changed is the run being managed based on commercial interest, that is still the priority. I don't envy the folks managing the fisheries, what a rodeo.

Speaking of Red salmon. Fishing with a pole has changed, used to snag with spinning rods and reels and weighted treble hooks, then we went to bait casters. Now we have evolved to fly rods and reels as they are so much lighter and handier for us and our old arms and shoulders and we, uh, catch Reds in the mouth with some variation of a fly or bead set up on the Kenai and Kasilof. I quit fishing the Russian in the 70's and quit fishing Kings on the Kenai in the 90's as I did not care for the crowds and all the boats I had to deal with and the charming guys who thought they owned the river.

My wife and I still manage to put about 25 Reds up every year and we thank God for them. That is plenty of canned and vac packed fish for us and we enjoy flipping for them with a fly rod.

We floated the Kasilof from the lake to the bridge with my son in law yesterday and did well. When we got there a lady with us immediately tripped and fell in the water. Then a couple came by in their kayaks and the gal in one kayak ran into her guy and flipped him in his kayak. He made it to shore and the kayak went down stream and his pack with the hand gun is some where on the bottom of the Kasilof. He caught a ride with another drift boat and sent a Soldotna Rescue boat to her as she was scared and would not leave the bank.

Then some guide launched his truck and trailer and boat all at the same time. The truck and trailer were laying against the Kasilof River Bridge piling when we pulled out. On the way home on Kalifornsky Beach Road we passed a 2 car vehicle collision with wrecked cars and a car in the ditch.

A friend was at Walmart in Kenai a couple mornings ago and watched a guy wearing pajamas and carrying a newspaper come out of the store and walk over to his RV. I hope he didn't touch any food when he was in there.

Any way, we made it home safe and sound after a truly beautiful day and good fishing. The bed felt good last night. I'm up early and a little more of this strong black coffee and toast and I will finish processing a dozen reds.

In a couple of weeks some of the chaos should slow down. This much anticipated Red run is bitter sweet to me, as it brings crowds and all the ugly associated with having to many humans in a small area. Yet I understand their desire for fish and fun.

Please be careful out there and take a kid fishing and only keep what you really need.

Yes indeed, it was a beautiful day on the Kasilof yesterday.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I get everything except the guy in the pajamas upsetting you. It's Walmart. Because he's wearing pajamas you're worried he contaminated food? You may not want to analyze the many other customers at Walmart you probably would be upset more by. If he had taken the time to put on some jean shorts with socks and sandals and a rebel flag tank top would it have made you feel better about him touching the food? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't get what ur complaining about. Keep to yourself and be nice. Who cares what other people are doing. I love this time of the year. That's why I live here. I've went in to stores in my pajamas before. This isn't California its Alaska pretty much anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Well this July marked my 50th year fishing the Kenai. About the only thing that has not changed is the run being managed based on commercial interest, that is still the priority. I don't envy the folks managing the fisheries, what a rodeo.

Speaking of Red salmon. Fishing with a pole has changed, used to snag with spinning rods and reels and weighted treble hooks, then we went to bait casters. Now we have evolved to fly rods and reels as they are so much lighter and handier for us and our old arms and shoulders and we, uh, catch Reds in the mouth with some variation of a fly or bead set up on the Kenai and Kasilof. I quit fishing the Russian in the 70's and quit fishing Kings on the Kenai in the 90's as I did not care for the crowds and all the boats I had to deal with and the charming guys who thought they owned the river.

My wife and I still manage to put about 25 Reds up every year and we thank God for them. That is plenty of canned and vac packed fish for us and we enjoy flipping for them with a fly rod.

We floated the Kasilof from the lake to the bridge with my son in law yesterday and did well. When we got there a lady with us immediately tripped and fell in the water. Then a couple came by in their kayaks and the gal in one kayak ran into her guy and flipped him in his kayak. He made it to shore and the kayak went down stream and his pack with the hand gun is some where on the bottom of the Kasilof. He caught a ride with another drift boat and sent a Soldotna Rescue boat to her as she was scared and would not leave the bank.

Then some guide launched his truck and trailer and boat all at the same time. The truck and trailer were laying against the Kasilof River Bridge piling when we pulled out. On the way home on Kalifornsky Beach Road we passed a 2 car vehicle collision with wrecked cars and a car in the ditch.

A friend was at Walmart in Kenai a couple mornings ago and watched a guy wearing pajamas and carrying a newspaper come out of the store and walk over to his RV. I hope he didn't touch any food when he was in there.

Any way, we made it home safe and sound after a truly beautiful day and good fishing. The bed felt good last night. I'm up early and a little more of this strong black coffee and toast and I will finish processing a dozen reds.

In a couple of weeks some of the chaos should slow down. This much anticipated Red run is bitter sweet to me, as it brings crowds and all the ugly associated with having to many humans in a small area. Yet I understand their desire for fish and fun.

Please be careful out there and take a kid fishing and only keep what you really need.
    Wow. And the pajama thing is definitely 'getting out there'.

Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    Who cares what other people are doing.
    I do.......

I've went in to stores in my pajamas before.
    Really happy for ya.....

This isn't California its Alaska pretty much anything goes.
    Maybe in your world, but the reason AK. is starting to go to sh*t is because too many people like you think "anything goes"....

Have some couth kid.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If pajamas are an issue with you then you probably have a problem. This isn't a site for whining. It's soldotna in July what do you expect? Have a good time enjoy life. Don't be a Sally.

You guys need to do more fishing and spend less time behind the keyboard, your wound up too tight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Kenai Fishing, bitter sweet...

You guys need to do more fishing and spend less time behind the keyboard, your wound up too tight!

Soldotna was slow tonight and I stills aged to loose 6 so my wife beat me 1-0, I think she lost about 3 more. I guess it's time to buy two new flies!

Woo hoo, my first double post! I'm going to get some sleep now!

I understand where you're coming from .338 mag.
    And as for the guy in pajamas... yeah, if he was carrying the Anchorage paper and touching food that would make me nervous too. I hear it makes OK fire starter and bird cage liner though.

Yep, it's a freakin' zoo down here, and these guys are saying, "What do you expect?".

that is what happens when you live in a fishing/tourist town....its always going to be busy in the summer, and people will always complain but never do anything about it. (maybe its just easier to complain.)
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Probably wouldn't be any complaints if it was a good lookin' women in her pajamas, coming out of the store...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Rep comming your way

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

After seeing a guy sitting at a table at the soldotna wash and dry killing lice on his sons head and wiping them on a napkin on the table a guy in pajamas seems down right civilized.

"Then some guide launched his truck and trailer and boat all at the same time. The truck and trailer were laying against the Kasilof River Bridge piling when we pulled out"

Wondering if this person forgot to put his truck into park before he got out....Curious if anyone saw this happen or has any insight to the cause?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I heard the tranny popped out of gear and the truck rolled in the river..
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Hence why you always block the tires, not the first time I've seen/heard of that happening.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I heard the tranny popped out of gear and the truck rolled in the river..
    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Hence why you always block the tires, not the first time I've seen/heard of that happening.
    Set the brake, then put it in Park, then chock the wheels.. in that order.

That happened to me years ago on Skilak Lake. The tranny popped out of gear as I was unhooking the boat and it took me a few seconds to realize that the truck and trailer were rolling into the lake. Luckily, I left the truck running and the driver's door open. I ran and jumped into the truck and floored it out of the lake as the bed of the truck was completely underwater and the cab of the truck had gallons upon gallons of water inside. Now I use the e-brake and chalk the tires.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast