Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can "WE" help new pilots NOT DIE.....Really.....????

Default Can "WE" help new pilots NOT DIE.....Really.....????

As I am nearing 69 y/o, I will admit that I am "LUCKY" as opposed to highly skilled at driving aircraft thingies.

What I am "NOT" wanting in this thread, is superior, condescending beating-up on new aircraft drivers. I would like to save a life, maybe save several lives.

Could new pilots (in a safe space) ask questions, and get advise from seasoned aircraft drivers......????

We are entering the SUPER CUB driver killing season, late July, early August.

Can we save one life........can we do it with love and compassion, as opposed to superior, condescending poop'head disrespectful responses..........???? Please help, the life you save may have children.

So.....this thread will only work if.......new aircraft drivers ask questions. LIKE: "I read that the moose hunter stall, happens so fast, and the aircraft driver is so shocked and disoriented, THAT".......???? (And how can I experience this at a safe altitude, and not auger in......????)

The biggest thing that would help is if people were actually proficient at flying. 50 hours a year doesn't cut it and I'm sure most are more in the 10 hour a year range. Flying is a perishable skill. That not only includes landing or at least not needing 1000ft for that super cub, but stall/spin (accelerated especially) recognition and wx recognition as well.

So, my advice is to not buy those VGs and whatever other 1k item and spend it all on gas and get proficient. It's probably a great idea to go up with a CFI every 6 months or so and practice this stuff. Not every 2 years. Besides, you'll land shorter if you keep your skills sharp than any STOL kit will ever help you do.

Lots of guys fly light all year and then load to the gills to go hunting. Practice at the weights and CGs you'll be flying.

Just not that many "Drivers" out there my friend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's right. And it seems the group gets smaller each year, unfortunately. The industry is still turning out pilots, but very few of them will ever be fliers, and fewer still good airplane drivers. . . . .

I think that it probably has something to do with the expense of owning an aircraft. I personally would love to have my own cub but because of all the expensive after buying one I can't justify it. Getting your license is one thing but being able to afford the rest (at least for me) is an expensive game.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Can we save one life........can we do it with love and compassion, as opposed to superior, condescending poop'head disrespectful responses..........???? Please help, the life you save may have children.
    There are two sides to this. Those pilots who are "superior, condescending poop'head disrespectful" toward others are not the ones you want to learn from. On the other hand, those who are similarly unwilling to accept respectful criticism/critique of their errors, or the errors of others (no matter how experienced/respected), are not the ones you want to learn from. Often, those who die are not new pilots. Often, they are experienced pilots who got complacent and/or did something foolish. (Recent examples such as leaving planes idling while loading, and making a low pass at a daughters wedding come to mind). Learning comes from honest examination and discussion of ones past errors, as well as the errors of others. Be honest and willing to discuss something done which was "stupid"; don't place other pilots upon pedestals, regardless of age/experience; respect safety above all else, and you'll keep the odds stacked in your favor.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

In these days of political correctness, it's kinda difficult to be much help sometimes. If one falls off on the side of the PC crowd, he becomes somewhat ineffective. If he falls off on the critical and straight-punch delivery side, he's a ****ed critic who should be more kind in his appraisals. Sort of a fine line. So . . . . . which would you rather have?

My choice is the ***ed critic response.

No one has figured out how to teach common sense yet.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Then, as to the recent Trapper Creek accident, whatever happened to "500 feet AGL or an attitude that doesn't endanger the lives or property of others ???

GOD, created parents for just that purpose. Sadly sometime around 1955 TV's started to be common in American homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    No one has figured out how to teach common sense yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    ...Sadly sometime around 1955 TV's started to be common in American homes.
    Is television or bad parenting to blame for bad decisions made by pilots?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The last few responses sounds like advice from pilot's of the 1940's and 50's, which granted, a lot Alaska aviation is stuck in, and refuses to learn from the past 60 years of accidents.
    The number one thing thing that needs to change is the culture of aviation in Alaska.
    Also, blaming the pilot and walking away without figuring out how they got to that point doesn't do anything to prevent it from happening again, but hey, welcome to aviation accidents circa 1950.

Quote Originally Posted by z987k View Post
    The last few responses sounds like advice from pilot's of the 1940's and 50's, which granted, a lot Alaska aviation is stuck in, and refuses to learn from the past 60 years of accidents.
    The number one thing thing that needs to change is the culture of aviation in Alaska.
    Also, blaming the pilot and walking away without figuring out how they got to that point doesn't do anything to prevent it from happening again, but hey, welcome to aviation accidents circa 1950.
    i have no idea of what you are talking about when you say this. What is this culture of aviation that refuses to change? Aviation has changed drastically
    in many positive ways in Alaska. Are you living in a backwoods hillbilly community somewhere?

Now, THAT sounds like a politically correct statement if I ever heard one. When blame has been placed on the pilot for an accident or incident, it's usually AFTER an evaluation has been made. And, what is the "culture" of aviation, anyway? I'm with pipercub​ - - - I have no idea what you're talking about. Aviation has surely changed, but what is its culture?

Great idea. I've also been pretty lucky flying small airplanes. Never been a pro but have seen and done a few things. I've had the benefit of a couple of good mentors, and would be happy to help in any way possible without intentionally being condescending.

Well, this thread is not exactly going in the direction I had hoped. But it is still going. I had hoped for questions that requested helpful suggestions.

So..........I will make up a question:

I notice that many accidents in Alaska happen when viewing something on the ground, be that an animal, a cabin, a new landing spot, a large school of fish, etc.........I hear about this thing called a "Moose hunter stall".

My question is: How can I safely view/review/assess something on the ground......??? What should I do, and what should I never do......??? My fried says, that rather than circle at low speed, it would be safer to come in straight, like setting up for a soft field landing, and maintaining the option of simulated aborted landing. Do you think this is better than tight circling, low, slow and dirty.........????

Maintain an airspeed that allows steep turns without stalling.

Thank you, I notice than I keep tightening the circle when viewing, and I get fixated on the thing I am viewing, can I keep adding power to compensate for this........???

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Maintain an airspeed that allows steep turns without stalling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast