Thread: Halibut right near the Kenai mouth.

Default Halibut right near the Kenai mouth.

I got all the reds I could eat in a year early this week, but a friend of mine and I are going to go down for a super quick suicide run Friday night and Saturday morning. I'm confident I can help him get as many as his family wants in the morning and once we're done, I'm quite curious to run out into the mouth a little ways and give it a shot for some halibut. Last week, I saw two small boats, at separate times, cleaning small halibut. I figure this would be the best time to try, since they're probably goring on the salmon scraps and salmon themselves right now.

I've gone through and searched the forums for any post about Kenai and halibut and have seen that some people might have a place or two to point me towards. I'm in a 18' skiff with a 30 horse motor so I'm definitely planning on staying close and only proceeding if it's very, very calm. I also figured I'd run out a little before high tide and stay for only an hour to avoid the strong running currents heading back in. If anyone has an idea of where to go, what fishing gear to use or generally how to go do it, I'd appreciate feedback. Unfortunately I do not have a depth/fish finder. Thanks all. Andrew.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

You'd be better off running down to anchor point after you've gotten your reds and fishing butt from there. I've tried out of the mouth of the Kenai many times and have only managed a sunburn and flounder. There's stories of folks catching a butt here or there. But far and few between. Not worth it in my book. That entrance can be real tricky too. Especially with no depth finder. I'd feel much safer out off anchor pt.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    You'd be better off running down to anchor point after you've gotten your reds and fishing butt from there. I've tried out of the mouth of the Kenai many times and have only managed a sunburn and flounder. There's stories of folks catching a butt here or there. But far and few between. Not worth it in my book. That entrance can be real tricky too. Especially with no depth finder. I'd feel much safer out off anchor pt.
    I agree but I don't have time to run to anchor point. My gut is telling me that we will have all the Reds we could want by 10 am and the tide will be rolling in until noon. If the weather is calm I figure that would be the safest time to run around and just throw something at the wall and see if I couldn't get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

if you get so many RED"S take the head of a small red an use it for bait , if you dicide to fish for Halibut just an IDEA
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    if you get so many RED"S take the head of a small red an use it for bait , if you dicide to fish for Halibut just an IDEA
    SID
    That's exactly what I was planning on doing. I figured that on a circle hook would make the flounder less likely to try for it.

Also, I am getting a gps with the nautical charts from my buddy so I feel confident to get out and in the mouth without too much trouble

As far as navigating the mouth, if your not running over dipnetters at high tide you don't have to worry a about hitting anything else in the water.

If you stay late and the current kicks up big standing waves, just go around them, again in a boat that size you aren't going to run aground doing that if you stay on the north side.

I've done it in a 16' river runner lots of times. My partner thought we were going to die coming back in as I headed for the 5' standing waves, I laughed as I drove around them and he caught his breath.

As for the fishing, if your already on the water sure give it a try but I stopped fishing out there when the launch fee went over $10 because of our success rate compared to the launch fee. Lots of skates in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Lots of skates in there too.
    Are those good eating at all? I'm definitely down to fry up a dogfish or any type of cod if we catch one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Are those good eating at all? I'm definitely down to fry up a dogfish or any type of cod if we catch one of those.
    I'm told they are but I've never tried one. I've seen a few dogfish caught down there but not real consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    I tried skate once and found it more trouble than it was worth.

I've heard of guys going out a ways to the buoy and getting halibut. But if I recall it's after the canaries have been in full swing for awhile. I think it takes a little more time to mooch them in real good up this far. It can be done but don't expect it to be hot and heavy.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Later in the year, you can expect to catch a pile of sand sharks for every targeted species.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Later in the year, you can expect to catch a pile of sand sharks for every targeted species.
    You mean spiny dog fish. Sand sharks are tropical critters.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I tried skate once and found it more trouble than it was worth.

I've heard of guys going out a ways to the buoy and getting halibut. But if I recall it's after the canaries have been in full swing for awhile. I think it takes a little more time to mooch them in real good up this far. It can be done but don't expect it to be hot and heavy.
    I got close to that buoy once, it's a long ways out in a little boat...

I did it many years ago and we hooked many big fish in about 70 feet of water just south of the mouth. We lined it with some tower just to the south. Watch out for the water draining out of the mouth on a dropping tide. The standing waves were huge.