Thread: Cottonwood Creek full of snaggers this afternoon

Default Cottonwood Creek full of snaggers this afternoon

Went down to Cottonwood creek this afternoon to see what was going on. As usual, ton of snagging going on. Without exaggerating, I saw 20 - 30 fish snagged and kept. People were not even trying to be quiet about it. I did see about 50 to 60 reds swimming in the creek.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Went down to Cottonwood creek this afternoon to see what was going on. As usual, ton of snagging going on. Without exaggerating, I saw 20 - 30 fish snagged and kept. People were not even trying to be quiet about it. I did see about 50 to 60 reds swimming in the creek.
    Did you call the troopers?

I called the violation report hotline 18004783377. Lady told me she did not have anyone available but if someone showed up, she would let them know.

Catch any fish?

I called the violation report hotline 18004783377. Lady told me she did not have anyone available but if someone showed up, she would let them know.
    Which is why it keeps happening...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is something that bothers me about how the troopers are set up. A wildlife trooper can be pulled from his wildlife enforcement duties to write up traffic violations, but a traffic trooper can't be pulled from his traffic duties to write wildlife tickets.

I was told directly by a wildlife trooper that the best way to deal with such issues is to take a picture of the culprit along with there license plate number. If you can get a picture of them in the act and email it to fish and game. They will find them. I unfortunately had to turn in many ppl fishing at cottonwood during closed times that way. Big orange sign next to there head saying closed to all fishing. Well when they would argue and say its catch and release and kept fishing I said smile! I got many return emails thanking me for the effort. Its unfortunate that we would have to police the people next to us but it seems to work although many don't like being told I'm sending in pictures of you with your 3 snagged fish. Most ppl that relize I have snapped a few pics of them illegaly fishing know there doing so because they up and leave as soon as they know there busted. Dunno just a though it works for me.

My house is 2 miles away from there, I used to call all the time, a few times the troopers showed up, but as soon as they pull into the parking lot the word gets sent down the line and all the snaggers either leave or start fishing legally. I used to catch people fishing at the bridge where it passes under under fairview loop all the time as well. One guy had a garbage bag full of fish, I got his plate and called the troopers, not sure if he ever got busted but I never saw him come back. AST could probably bring in a bunch of money if they hung out around that creek more.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Sad to hear about all the snagging. Thank you to those reporting all the shenanigans going on down there. The fish are moving up stream pretty good. Cottonwood goes behind my house (several miles up from the mouth) and my daughter and I were just watching about 30 in the shallows chasing each other around in their pre-spawn antics.

That fishery is a waste of time the way it is set up. The fishing is limited to the silty slack water so there is no way to line the fish. Reds don't readily take a hook so you basically get stuck with just hoping they accidentally swallow your lure while breathing or try to blindly snag em in the lips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That fishery is a waste of time the way it is set up. The fishing is limited to the silty slack water so there is no way to line the fish. Reds don't readily take a hook so you basically get stuck with just hoping they accidentally swallow your lure while breathing or try to blindly snag em in the lips.

Don't most people fish reds by trying to line them without seeing them? Not a big fisher person anyways, but I most of red fishing is done without seeing them and just lining them by "feel" and a bit of luck of the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Don't most people fish reds by trying to line them without seeing them? Not a big fisher person anyways, but I most of red fishing is done without seeing them and just lining them by "feel" and a bit of luck of the draw.
    Yes but generally in fairly shallow water with a decent current. The fishing area of cottonwood creek is a roughly 4' deep by 5' wide silt slough.

Gotcha...I just thought folks fishing the Kenai at the mouth of the Russian and such aren't seeing them and just "feeling" for their fish as they drift and are generally fishing in much deeper water than even 4' or 5'. Again I know nothing about fishing especially for reds so just trying to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Gotcha...I just thought folks fishing the Kenai at the mouth of the Russian and such aren't seeing them and just "feeling" for their fish as they drift and are generally fishing in much deeper water than even 4' or 5'. Again I know nothing about fishing especially for reds so just trying to learn.
    It's all about current. I haven't fished Cottonwood, but based on the descriptions above the difference between it and the Kenai is current. There are places in the Kenai where there are huge concentrations of salmon milling about in calm side pools, but folks won't fish there because 95% of the fish would be snagged without current to drift the hook/line into their mouth. Shallow or deep, you need a decent current to effectively fish reds via the lining method.

Gotcha...makes sense!!! Thanks Brian!