Thread: bare hooks/ reds

Default bare hooks/ reds

I read something here about fishing bare red hooks for reds, but cannot find anywhere where it states size. What do you guys recommend? Is this in a drift set up?

Yarn where needed I presume.

Actually the people who use bare hooks for sockeye do so while trolling, the basic set up is a flasher or dodger then a leader than a size 4 or 6 red green or blue gamakatsu octopus hook. This is done mostly in Puget Sound, Lake Washington and The straits of Geogia. No yarn at all.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

AKPM hit it right head, they use that technique on Lake Washington, I have even heard of people doing it on Lake Illiamna but have never tried it myself. If I had more time I might try it on Skilak for something different.

Maybe not completely bare, but we use a RedHot down here in Juneau at Windfall Creek. Looks like a #14 or #16 bright red hook with about 2-3 strands of Red tensil about the length of the hook tied at the top. Used it Wednesday and it was a killer. Dead drift it into a hole and hold on.

I may have to try that @ windfall creek...

2/0 or 3/0 is about right if fishing Lake WA for the sockeye. Run those on a SHORT 40lb. leader behind a chrome #0 dodger. Troll slow.

For those that can't troll slow, use a glow and pink Michael bait with a 2/0 siwash, tied 27" behind a HotSpot Flasher. Troll as fast as you want to.

Both work well out in the lake. Oddly, both do NOT work well a mile away when the fish are out in the salt getting ready to enter the fresh water.

There are guides who fish out in the salt out by the Fraser who do well on the reds. They stack MANY of the dodger/flashers on a downrigger, troll early in the am, and troll through schools of shallow fish. Seems to work up there. I've tried it down here in Seattle with no luck. I always just wait until they open Lake WA up for that fishery. Last I heard, when that fishery does open, it is the largest boating fishery in North America. We'll over 10,000 anglers will fish the Lake on the openers. Anything that can and does float will be on the lake that day! It's quite the zoo.

I'll just use a bare 2/0 hook when flipping on the Kenai in the non-fly regulated waters.

I landed about 20 reds last week at the Russian using just a bare hook. Did it to prove a point to my son that 95% of then are simply snagged in the mouth.
    Tennessee

Thanks for the info. guys. I was just curious. heading out over the holiday week and try my luck

good luck-K

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I landed about 20 reds last week at the Russian using just a bare hook. Did it to prove a point to my son that 95% of then are simply snagged in the mouth.
    I can't seem to find it in the online regulations, but I've read and heard before that fishing a bare hook in freshwater is illegal. I guess the implication is that one is snagging, which as pointed out above, is illegal in freshwaters. Maybe somebody with more familiarity with the regs can speak to this more definitively.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

just tie a piece of yarn on your hook then it is not bare. 2nd run of kenai reds have been slayed with me using the tech on a gama hook
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Bare hook is illegal is "fly fishing only" waters such as the russian, everywhere else its fine. Reds in the russian seem to nail flesh flies that are dead drifted and really nothing else except the occasional ESL and sometimes beads melted to hooks, at any rate I catch a lot of nice sockeye on the 5wt, my family doesn't complain, they like fish

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Bare hook is illegal is "fly fishing only" waters such as the russian, everywhere else its fine. Reds in the russian seem to nail flesh flies that are dead drifted and really nothing else except the occasional ESL and sometimes beads melted to hooks, at any rate I catch a lot of nice sockeye on the 5wt, my family doesn't complain, they like fish
    Bare hook is not legal in ANY "fly fishing only" area. Just to clarify AKPMs post.
    Last edited by gusdog44; 06-24-2007 at 21:28. Reason: clarification

For those wondering the bare hook technique does not work in main bay

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    If all you try to do is floss/snag in the mouth, that's exactly what's going to happen 95% of the time. Doesn't prove they don't willing take a fly though.

My question where the heck is enforcement on the russian anybody fishing with noting but a bare hook should get a ticket