Thread: First rod and reel salmon!

Default First rod and reel salmon!

well, I finally did it!!! Caught my first salmon on a pole! We had tried for 2 days at the Lagoon and last night saw tons of fish coming out of Kachemak Bay over the hill. So my wife said lets go over and try. I saw that everyone was tossing pink pixies so I decided to use a purple vibrex. I was standing next to a family who appeared to have limited out. So as the were leaving I scooted over a couple of feet and by my 5th cast, BAM!!! It was on! I couldn't believe the fight of this sucker.

Back and and forth and every time I got him to within a foot or two of the bank, ziiiiii he would take off. I let him tire out a little and finally got him out of the water. My wife is screaming at me get him higher up hurry!!!! As soon as I was about 12 feet from shore, snap!! There went my line. It was incredible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations on a job well done!

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Fun fun... Me I remember the ones that get away more than the ones I catch. They get bigger every time I tell the story😉
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    well, I finally did it!!! Caught my first salmon on a pole! We had tried for 2 days at the Lagoon and last night saw tons of fish coming out of Kachemak Bay over the hill. So my wife said lets go over and try. I saw that everyone was tossing pink pixies so I decided to use a purple vibrex. I was standing next to a family who appeared to have limited out. So as the were leaving I scooted over a couple of feet and by my 5th cast, BAM!!! It was on! I couldn't believe the fight of this sucker.

Back and and forth and every time I got him to within a foot or two of the bank, ziiiiii he would take off. I let him tire out a little and finally got him out of the water. My wife is screaming at me get him higher up hurry!!!! As soon as I was about 12 feet from shore, snap!! There went my line. It was incredible.
    That's the one that you'll remember forever...!!! Congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks everyone! To top it all off I caught another the next day!!!

Default Homer Lagoon?

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    Thanks everyone! To top it all off I caught another the next day!!!
    Well done! Just have to ask. It sounds/looks like you were fishing on the Homer spit on the outside shore near the lagoon. Is that correct?

Yes. We were on the RV park side of the LAgoon and walked over the levee.