Thread: Ketchikan Area Info Please

Default Ketchikan Area Info Please

I will be visiting Ketchikan for a week the beginning of August and would love to spend the majority of it just shoreline fishing... and maybe some freshwater as well. I would really appreciate any info on where to go, what to use, etc... Unfortunate to say, I am not a fly fisherman, mostly spinning and baitcast. I am an avid, born and raised fisherman from the Puget Sound area of Washington, will have my own transportation and would be grateful for any information obtained...

With shore access pretty clearly defined and restricted, it's pretty easy to see where to fish. There are lots of people around, so there's no such thing as a secret spot away from the crowds that you can drive to. Cuddle up to the edge of the angler covey and watch what the folks are doing. Those catching fish will certainly help you spot the best techniques.

I'm being vague because I've been there to watch the shows many times over the years, but never picked up a rod. The fishing will test your sense of humor, but it's still fishing. I don't have much humor for crowds, so it's strictly a spectator sport for me.

Here's a couple of links to the area if you haven't seen them already.

Brownbear gave you the best answer/ advice for what to do. I've been there a dozen times but never to fish either...just played tourist or was passing through to go fish on Prince of Wales island just to the west a short hop. Search the web some. Plenty of info and a few videos of local anglers fishing from the shore in Herring Cove or wherever.

if you could go to Prince of Wales instead, I could put you on fish easily.

best of luck, K-town is a fun place ...some great food just north of the tunnel on the right. The Soho Coho gallery is worth visiting. Ray Troll and I visit often when i pass through town.

Steve

Http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...tn_fishing.pdf

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...side%20Fishery

Thank you sooo much for the info already received... down here in the Puget Sound area I call it "combat Fishing", jokingly of course. Any info on rivers or streams? Do they pretty much have the same fishing pressure?

The second link has stream info and either link will get you started.

Fishing pressure on a habitable strip of land with A road up against a mountain? brownbear's hidden clues like " angler covey" should let you imagine scenes of chaos and carnage.

Ask the first Sourdough cabbie you meet on the way to your car what the fishing is like and where you should go. That will dispel any doubts.

i would pick Howard McKim of Ketchikan kayak company and go for it.

Best fishes!

Taking that you're from the PNW, you steelie fish? If so, take your steelie rods, and chuck little cleos off of Mountain Point. Pinks, Silvers, maybe a king or 2, and rockfish. Go to Herring cove and work the spinners, crank baits and spoons for silvers and kings. Ward creek/lake, loaded with pinks and silvers, get way upriver above the falls, no links and you'll have a few silvers, rainbows and peace.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I have been there in July and September so you are right in the middle. Check the regs but I believe herring cove is closed in the creek.
    The pinks should be in downtown at creek street, and there is ward cove up to the lake but I dont know anything about that. If you want to catch silvers I would say go to clover pass or Knutson cove and rent a small boat and troll for them. Keep a rod handy with a long casting spinner for the jumpers so you can get them casting.

I just got back from there last week and had a good time with the kings, silvers, halibut, and got about 5 white salmon that were great to eat.

Fishing is good and getting better ... Mt Point for Salmon from shore. Ward lake where the creek runs in or the lake outlet. Ward creek also. They stack up below the dam. Check the creek at the far north end of the road at the USFS campground ... sometimes the Salmon school there.

Like mentioned above a skiff rental out north will be a fun way to do some fish killing.

Thanks again to all for the information... very appreciated! I will be up there August 6th-12th and am really looking forward to the trip, especially if I can get away from the tourist stuff and do some quality fishing. Also, I was wondering what some of the typical lures used up there... spinners, spoons, jigs, corkies and yarn... sizes/colors? I don't want to bring a bunch of extra stuff I don't need.

I see you mentioned way upriver above the falls. Would I be better off with more of a trout pole up and lighter gear?

I would not go lite ... Coho like Mepps Aglia size #4 ... Pixi and Blue Fox are also popular. Some fishermen like the greens but Salmon also like orange.

Flies can be fished at Ward lake near where Ward Creek flows in.

Quote Originally Posted by rbarstow View Post
    I see you mentioned way upriver above the falls. Would I be better off with more of a trout pole up and lighter gear?
    A trout pole will work fine above the falls, just be prepared for the coho and/or pink you hook into. I typically flyfish and a 5-6 weight works well for the coho.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    I would not go lite ... Coho like Mepps Aglia size #4 ... Pixi and Blue Fox are also popular. Some fishermen like the greens but Salmon also like orange.

Flies can be fished at Ward lake near where Ward Creek flows in.
    Muskeg is spot on with the lure selection but remember the whole Ward Lake and creek drainage is a single hook fishery. Make sure you get rid of those trebles on the lures.

If you are casting a long ways I like the orange Mepps flying C, it works great and you can get a long cast out of it.

Thanks again to everybody for the great information! I've picked and sorted through my stuff and can't wait to be up there in a little over a week. Very much lookin' forward to some real fishing...