Thread: alaskan transplants, help needed.

Default alaskan transplants, help needed.

I need some help, relocating section doesn't get much viewing, if you moved to Alaska could you please take a minute to look at this thread http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ousehold-items Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mods, I know this is the wrong section but could you please let this stand for a little while. I really need some help in getting ready for the big move next summer and I know that most of the members that can help me are hanging out here. Thanks

God bless and Semper Fi
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I am not sure about shipping from the 'lower 48' to Alaska, but I helped a friend here in Alaska ship his belongings to New Mexico this last spring. The company that he used, came to his house, packed everything up and up it in a container for shipment. If I remember right, it cost him about $3900. OP, Have you done a 'Google' search for shippers in your area?

Replied on other thread.

v
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I am not sure about shipping from the 'lower 48' to Alaska, but I helped a friend here in Alaska ship his belongings to New Mexico this last spring. The company that he used, came to his house, packed everything up and up it in a container for shipment. If I remember right, it cost him about $3900. OP, Have you done a 'Google' search for shippers in your area?
    $3900 isnt even in the ballpark for a normal move. We just moved up here from MT and our quote to have everything packed and loaded and then unloaded when we got here was $20,000. That doesn't include building taxidermy crates (another $3200) or insurance. We ended up packing and loading our stuff in MT and I built my own crates (for maybe $200). They unloaded here for us which they charge by weight and the final cost was around $13,000.

The quote for weight of our stuff was 12,000 lbs which was off by alot as we only had 7,000 or so. That would have saved us some from the original quote but only off the packing and loading the actually transportation costs wouldnt have changed and they were $10,000+. Unless your friend only had what could fit in a car there is nearly a zero percent chance he moved for $3900. Id venture to guess he couldnt get a car from here to NM for $3900.

Being that our friend was single, helped out a lot. However, most of the 'stuff' that he owned, house hold goods, collectables, tools, stuff from his gun room minus firearms were packed into a single container and shipped to NM. He drove out and had all of his firearms, ammo, gun powders, camping equipment and some cloths. He got the ferry in Whittier AK and got off in Washington State, thus not having to drive through Canada with firearms that they prohibit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayz12 View Post
    v

$3900 isnt even in the ballpark for a normal move. We just moved up here from MT and our quote to have everything packed and loaded and then unloaded when we got here was $20,000. That doesn't include building taxidermy crates (another $3200) or insurance. We ended up packing and loading our stuff in MT and I built my own crates (for maybe $200). They unloaded here for us which they charge by weight and the final cost was around $13,000.

The quote for weight of our stuff was 12,000 lbs which was off by alot as we only had 7,000 or so. That would have saved us some from the original quote but only off the packing and loading the actually transportation costs wouldnt have changed and they were $10,000+. Unless your friend only had what could fit in a car there is nearly a zero percent chance he moved for $3900. Id venture to guess he couldnt get a car from here to NM for $3900.

You guys ar helping a lot, Please keep the comments coming. I post this in the other thread....

"This is helping a lot and I can't thank everyone enough. One issue is, that I have a large quantity of ammo which I can't drive across the Canadian border. They limit to 500 rounds from what I have found. I'm interested in info if anyone has any experience with moving large quantities of ammo. Can anyone share the costs and companies that they used shipping by way of water. Maybe the pro and cons of using the ferry system vs driving. Also using shipping containers via the water and then driving.

On a side note, I understand the thought of down sizing and then buying new up there but can use some help in where you draw the line. Moving is the most important thing for us but where do you draw the line on things. I.E do you bring the washer and dryer or do sell and buy new. We have some large solid hardwood furniture. Say a $2000 dollar dining room set, if we sold it here you might get $600 and then I would imagine that new up there might cost $2500 (I'm guessing) so I have a cost difference of losing $1400 and then adding $2500 so now i'm at $3900. So I'm thinking that we bring it. It's not a heirloom or sentimental but this is the same with the entire house of furniture. A large quality desk that is big and heavy, A large freezer, etc. Am I looking at this wrong or is my logic off? Any thought or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Please keep the comments coming."

If you can comment or add to this please go to the other thread and share. Under a year and counting!!!!

Mods thanks for helping me out on this.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I think it comes down to what your willing to spend on what you have. If you can buy or rent a convex and then have it put on a barge heading up might save you a bit but you still have to have it shipped to the coast. As for ammo you can haul up to about 6k in rounds if you drive / haul it yourself. It's hard to give up your house hold items, like you said the a 2500$ set will sell for 600.00 but what will it cost you to keep and ship that same item. When I moved up I hauled it myself in two trips but I still got rid of most of the house hold stuff that can be replaced. Washer /dryer / freezer / fridges should stay there you can replace cheap enough and they do not travel well either.

Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

As stated above, lots of appliances need to be left there. We got by buying a used washer & dryer (about $150) & it was still working when we replaced them. Got $100 for them at a garage sale.
    If you go the container route, pack the "must haves" first. Then maximize the space you have left. I'd also purchase a bunch of furniture pads. Expect to pay around $15 a piece. When you get here, you should be able to unload them at one of the furniture stores or moving companies in town for close to what you paid for them. You'll also need lots of big rolls of scotch tape for keeping the blankets in place on the furnishings.

I believe it's 5000 rounds, not 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    I believe it's 5000 rounds, not 500.
    You are right, I knew that it was 5000, I just missed a 0. Thanks
    Semper Fi and God Bless