Thread: M70 300 win fwt feeding issues

Default M70 300 win fwt feeding issues

About a month ago I bought a m70 fwt in 300 win from a local gun shop. The guy said it was won in a raffle and never fired. I took it out today to break in the barrel and had feeding issues. I would load one round into the magazine and when I would push the bolt forward it wasn't being grabbed by the claw. The round would just pop out of the mag being pushed along. The round would ride up the feed ramp and then enter the chamber. When the round was almost all the way in the chamber there would be a build up of resistance till the bolt was all the way forward which I'm assuming was the claw going up over the rim of the cartridge.

What should be my first course of action? Should I take it to a smith, or is it likely something easy like a bad follower or mag spring?

Had anybody had a similar issue?

Feeding sounds uncontrolled which sounds pretty wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BMhunts View Post
    About a month ago I bought a m70 fwt in 300 win from a local gun shop. The guy said it was won in a raffle and never fired. I took it out today to break in the barrel and had feeding issues. I would load one round into the magazine and when I would push the bolt forward it wasn't being grabbed by the claw. The round would just pop out of the mag being pushed along. The round would ride up the feed ramp and then enter the chamber. When the round was almost all the way in the chamber there would be a build up of resistance till the bolt was all the way forward which I'm assuming was the claw going up over the rim of the cartridge.

What should be my first course of action? Should I take it to a smith, or is it likely something easy like a bad follower or mag spring?

Had anybody had a similar issue?
    The only time I had feed issues with a M70, changing the spring solved the problem. That would be my first course of action.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The extractor is either bad or needs to be adjusted. Does it have a blued extractor or stainless extractor?? Any good smith can adjust it, if its a blued one I would look at buying PT&G extractor or one made by Williams.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod41927.aspx

If the cartridge is leaping out of the magazine in front of the bolt, then the follower or spring is incorrect. But, you should operate the bolt "like you mean it". Do not operate a CRF slowly, as it will lead to feed issues. The bolt should be operated smartly, back, then forward, without hesitation. Oftentimes that will clear up feeding issues by itself.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

323, it has the blued extractor. I thought that might be the cause too but when there's only one cartridge it the mag it doesn't even make it up high enough to touch the extractor. When there is a second shell which would be feeding from the left side the shell makes it halfway into the claw area but doesn't lock all the way into place until it is pushed forward almost into the chamber I'd say you can still see 1/3- 1/4 of the shell before it locks onto it.

i think Iofthetiaga and humbugs are probably right. It seems like when the bolt is worked it's pushing down the follower especially the front part. The spring doesn't feel weak when you push it down with a finger but when you watch it as it happens it seems like that might be the problem.

I think I might try to bend the current spring to give it a little more upward pressure in the front. If that doesn't work I'll probably get a new spring and follower as both are pretty cheap.

I was also thinking it might be the mag box which I'll probably try to mess with or replace it the spring or follower doesn't end up being the issue.

gunbugs Also tried working the bolt faster and it didn't really help.

Again thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it.

I'm thinking you got flim flammed. A new unfired control round model 70 isn't going to behave like that. If the bolt is sliding over the case rim of the round in the magazine then either the spring or follower isn't doing it's job.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    A new unfired control round model 70 isn't going to behave like that.
    Mine did. Gunbugs replaced the spring and it has been flawless ever since.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Mine did. Gunbugs replaced the spring and it has been flawless ever since.
    I believe ya. I stand corrected!

I looked at a brand new FN model 70 last week. I thought it was as nice as any rifle I have ever held. FN certainly took them up a notch. It was a Featherweight in 243. After looking it over with a fine tooth comb I hate to admit it but it's been a long time since Winchesters model 70's were built as nicely as they are now. The end of the box said made in Portugal. All that means to me is that the fine folk in Portugal certainly take pride in their work.

I went home without that gun but have been thinking 'bout it ever since. Trying to justify yet another coyote gun. I can't do it. However, I was just asked to roof a house as a side job. Folks I'm getting too old to be carrying bundles of shingles up a ladder. However using a shiny new model 70 in say 7mm-08 as incentive goes a long ways towards me saying I'll do it. I feel quite confident that there won't be any feeding issues on the FN 70's.

Take it to WWG and have them fix it. Don't fiddle with it yourself.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Have you tried U-Tube? They have tutorials for just about everything. Audio /Visual.

Many of the CRF Mod. 70 rifles made after 1964 have extractors and follower springs that are not made from "spring" steel, it is some kind of stamped metal. I replaced the ones on the 4 "Stainless Classics" my family has with aftermarket ones from Williams. They all feed as designed, whether they are fed slowly, upside down, side ways, or from our shoulder. But, a bolt rifle should be operated quickly from the shooters shoulder and one should not have to worry about a round being fed into the chamber.

I have seen problems with feeding after an action was bedded due to the magazine box being squeezed and CRF extractors have needed tweaking before. If your rifle has the stamped steel extractor and magazine follower due your self a favor and get a replacement form Williams.

I agree the new Mod. 70 rifles look better then they have looked for a long time. But, someone let some bean counter change the wonderful old Mod. 70 trigger with one that is not a step forward.