Thread: Fishing lures while floating

Default Fishing lures while floating

Going on my first trip to Alaska in September, doing a 10 day float trip (fully guided) in the Mat-su valley. I think I have all of my hunting and camping gear ready, but have never fished much outside of the Bayous of South Louisiana, so not sure what to bring. So far I have a collapsible spinning rod and an assortment of #2 Vibrex lures, what else should I bring?

thanks in advance

Post this query in the freshwater fishing section. Be sure to bring enough swivels and decent line strength and quality. If you know how to work a drag on large fish 10# test is fine, 12 is also good. Your emphasis is going to be hunting, so keep the fishing gear down. Look at hook restrictions on the waters you're floating; you may be required to use single hook lures as its after Sep 1.

I wouldn't take a spinning rod anywhere in Alaska in sept without a 3/8 and 1/2 ounce vibrax spinners in Orange and pink. Order them with single hooks. Maybe it was Mepps actually that does that. Same applies on colors and sizes. I'm not familiar with Matsu though, so hopefully others will chime in. Most my time has been in arctic NW, SW, SE, and on Kenai. Good luck. Louisiana is going to suck after your trip. Ask me how I know.

Dan
    North Carolina
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Take some split shot so you can vary the depth a little in currents. Small silver spoons work well in the current with less drag than spinners so might want to take one or two with you. As willphish stated don't focus too much on the fishing if it is a hunting trip- easy to get side tracked! As Dan said- vibrax are a great all around- I would add a gold colored one too. Pike happen to attack them in any bight color if you happen to be in an area that has them (kill them please). Have a great trip!