Thread: GMX 338 185 grain bullets

Default GMX 338 185 grain bullets

I have been 'playing' with the GMX 338 185 grain bullets and a 'project' Model 70 338WM and have not had good luck with them. So far I have only tried IMR 4350 powder and can not seem to get the loads to group worth a darn. It also might be the rifle as I can not get some of my other 'pet' loads to group. About the best I can get is 2" 5 shot group at 100 yards. Anyone else tried to load these bullets? I am sure that it is not 'me' that can not group as my old model 70(40+ years old) will group my 225 Barnes inside of 1" all day long.
    Any suggestion on other powders to try? I am not looking for the highest FPS, but want something that will group well all of the time.

H4350 or RL22 is the ol standby for the 338 win mag. I know more than few people who have had a hard time getting anything under 225gr to shoot in a 338 win mag. The GMX is probably going to like a lot jump to the lands as well. What do your groups look like?? Post a picture of the groups and probably tell real quick what the problem is.

We have struggled with the lighter bullets for the .338 win mag and finally gave up and went heavy. 225 accubond did well and 250 Accubonds did great, gave up a lot of speed but sub moa makes it worth it

as for powders rl19 and vihtavouri N160 did best for us

i have plenty of swift 210 grain scirocco sift you want to try them

In my old Model 70 338WM, I used to shoot the 175 Barnes X bullet and could clover leaf three shots at 100yds with out any problems. I do not know what changed with the new 175's but they would not group well at all. I then went up to the 225 Barnes and again went back to shooting good tight groups. The wife shoots 210 Barnes out her Savage 116 and they also group real well.
    These 185's were given to me, so I thought that I would play with them a little. If I can get them to group well OK, but other wise no big deal. As far as a picture of the group, I will try them again and take some pictures. The target that I was using, got used for some other rifle shooting and has lot of holes in it. I agree with Tigerpaw, as I load some 250 grains bullets for a couple friends and they group well in their rifles.

The 338 I had I tried some 210 and 215 in it wow talk about bad. So I tried a proving load using a 225gr back to less than inch tried 250's same thing right around 3/4 of an inch.

If you have any RL22 on hand I would give that a try.

I am going to try some IMR 4831, as I do not have any of the other powders mentioned. It is going to be interesting to see what these will do. I did check the throat length and it was way longer then the normal seating length, so that is not part of the issue.

I have had good luck with both RL-19 and RL-17 in my 338 WM....maybe try the RL-17 with the lighter 185 grainer.

I have been shooting RL 19 with 250 grain Barnes X bullets for a long time and my Custom Mod. 70 gun likes them. I have some of the 210 Barnes Triple Shocks that I need to load up. I want to try them on a caribou and moose some day. Back in the 70's I used the 210 Nosler Partition with Winchester's old 785 Ball Powder and the Ruger I had shot them well, but I went to the 250 Partitions as I bought the .338 for heavy bullet use. The Barnes X bullet was a bit of a game changer for me and I am sure the 210 Barnes X will blow through most of them with the broad side lung shot.

If you cruise around on the 24 Hour Campfire you will probably get a bit of info on those lighter .338 loads.