Thread: Kasilof dipnetting not what it used to be

Default Kasilof dipnetting not what it used to be

After a not too successful day of dipping the Kenai, I decided to see if I could do any good at the Kasilof. I'd last dipped there two years ago. What I found when I got there was I describable but I'll try. A cross between a circus, carnival, zoo and refugee camp. Wall to wall people, tents, vehicles parked where they shouldn't be (per the signs and common sense). I decided it wasn't worth it and left. 10X worse than just two years ago. For some, it may just be a great party and experience. But if you are not into that, be aware of what you can expect to find.

There is no enforcement, and they all know it. LE pretty much writes that venue off in favor of keeping order on the Kenai, and I can't really blame them.
    Even this spring there was still piles of junk on the bluff just past the entrance to the south beach. Old mattresses, bags of garbage, torn up folding chairs, etc. There was a no trespassing sign someone had put up to protect their property, but apparently to no avail.
    I truly love that place and I hate the way it gets trashed.

Yup I was there yesterday and it was a circus for sure.
    Couldn't hardly get around with all the RV's parked everywhere. Then there were the ATV's racing around with unattended children and stopping in the middle of the road making me wait for them to move.
    The north beach road is down to one lane. And you really gotta be careful. I wasn't sure I was going to make it out when a gigantic RV came down the road and we had to get around each other amidst all the vehicles parked.
    I really wish some entity with some authority would take over management like Kenai has done.
    I really don't think it will be long before this area is destroyed bad enough some government agency will step in and make some kind of ruling on it needing more protection.
    I also don't think it will be long before we see an annual Boating acccident on the Kenai dipnet fishery that results in a fatality.
    This is what you get when the state starts a fishery such as this and then provides no management whatsoever.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    There is no enforcement, and they all know it. LE pretty much writes that venue off in favor of keeping order on the Kenai, and I can't really blame them.
    Even this spring there was still piles of junk on the bluff just past the entrance to the south beach. Old mattresses, bags of garbage, torn up folding chairs, etc. There was a no trespassing sign someone had put up to protect their property, but apparently to no avail.
    I truly love that place and I hate the way it gets trashed.
    I'm not sure what LEO's can do there other than check licenses and limits.
    I'm not sure which entity actually owns the land. I believe some of the camping area on the north beach is owned by the Alaska mental health trust.
    Which of the thousands of people do you write the littering ticket for? Half are guilty in one way or another of contributing to it.
    I was down earlier this year and the dumpsters were full so people just kept piling the bags on top and around the sides rather than take it home or directly to the dump and dispose of it properly like they should. Then a few bags get torn and the wind gets to blowing and.........
    It's the mine, mine, mine, free, free, free, Fish, fish, fish, mentality that gets people into this mindset that it's OK to be that way.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I'm not sure which entity actually owns the land. I believe some of the camping area on the north beach is owned by the Alaska mental health trust.
    Which of the thousands of people do you write the littering ticket for? Half are guilty in one way or another of contributing to it.
    I was down earlier this year and the dumpsters were full so people just kept piling the bags on top and around the sides rather than take it home or directly to the dump and dispose of it properly like they should. Then a few bags get torn and the wind gets to blowing and.........
    It's the mine, mine, mine, free, free, free, Fish, fish, fish, mentality that gets people into this mindset that it's OK to be that way.
    I agree. I would like to see it as a no camping zone because it gets so trashed. Day use only. I have always enjoyed camping there in the spring, but this small area cannot stand that pressure for nearly two months. It must end someday.

And yes, if you see that the dumpster is full, rather than being a complete idiot, why not take your trash to either the Kasilof transfer site or the Solotna one. This type of me, me, me, mine, mine, mine attitude isn't only destroying the beauty of Alaska, it is destroying our state and our country.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    They need about a half dozen plain clothed cops walking around down there. Once word gets out that they are around maybe things might change a little when they know big brother is watching....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    After a not too successful day of dipping the Kenai, I decided to see if I could do any good at the Kasilof. I'd last dipped there two years ago. What I found when I got there was I describable but I'll try. A cross between a circus, carnival, zoo and refugee camp. Wall to wall people, tents, vehicles parked where they shouldn't be (per the signs and common sense). I decided it wasn't worth it and left. 10X worse than just two years ago. For some, it may just be a great party and experience. But if you are not into that, be aware of what you can expect to find.
    Oh....and it "hasn't been what it used to be".........for a lot longer than a couple years.

I actually remember when it used to be kind of enjoyable......

"It's the mine, mine, mine, free, free, free, Fish, fish, fish, mentality that gets people into this mindset that it's OK to be that way."

I think that is what we used to call the Seagull Mentality. Picture it in your mind, it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    I think that is what we used to call the Seagull Mentality. Picture it in your mind, it fits.
    It sure the hell does...!!!