Thread: Sheep locations

Default Sheep locations

I'm curious if anyone has started doing any sheep scouting? From a report I got the sheep are a bit higher into glacier country with the warm/dry weather? What are your thoughts or what have you seen?

Just went out last week. Didn't find any sheep where I expected to find them. Found some others in pretty likely/usual spots. Didn't get into high country or around glaciers, so I can't speak to that. Didn't keep a close count, but I saw about 100 sheep in 7 different groups. Over half of those were ewes and lambs in two groups. Couple groups of decent looking rams. Didn't get close enough on any of them to determine if they were legal or not.

Sorry........Sheep info. is "CLASSIFIED". I could tell you, but then...............

I can understand how sheep info is "sacred!" Just curious if sheep could potentially be found in different areas when it's warm and dry? I imagine food and water may be a little sparse in years like this one so I would expect it may be best to spend time in areas that may provide those 2 necessities? I've found that bighorn sheep are more concentrated in areas similar to this in dry years and imagine it may be similar with dalls?

whose doing their scouting from the air?? lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have no plane or intend on scouting from a plane. It may be possible to eliminate a lot of country searching for rams if they are found in particular areas. In Colo I've found them on particular slopes, aspects, etc that may offer a little more water, cool air, feed....just wondering if it's possible to eliminate a lot of country that may not have any sheep in a dry year! I'm quickly finding out that dall sheep finatics are a recluse breed that aren't willing to share much (if any) details that may help others!

Quote Originally Posted by jimss View Post
    I'm quickly finding out that dall sheep finatics are a recluse breed that aren't willing to share much (if any) details that may help others!
    No kidding, just look at the DS203 thread.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have no plane or intend on scouting from a plane. It may be possible to eliminate a lot of country searching for rams if they are found in particular areas. In Colo I've found them on particular slopes, aspects, etc that may offer a little more water, cool air, feed....just wondering if it's possible to eliminate a lot of country that may not have any sheep in a dry year! I'm quickly finding out that dall sheep finatics are a recluse breed that aren't willing to share much (if any) details that may help others!

i have not noticed any changes in patterns due to the conditions you've mentioned. Plain and simple Sheep travel and sometimes for no good reason. Take the dall sheep that's been hanging out at the Fort Knox gold mine north of Fairbanks, he came from somewhere else and just decided to stay. Only way your going to find them is burning boot leather and spending time behind some glass.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    whose doing their scouting from the air?? lol
    Oh......nobody here I'm sure.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    i have not noticed any changes in patterns due to the conditions you've mentioned. Plain and simple Sheep travel and sometimes for no good reason. Take the dall sheep that's been hanging out at the Fort Knox gold mine north of Fairbanks, he came from somewhere else and just decided to stay. Only way your going to find them is burning boot leather and spending time behind some glass.
    I was surprised at the presentation by Mr. Lohuis on the sheep in the southcentral area to find that they travel very little. I seem to remember that the outlier in his group was a sheep that had traveled 30-40 miles or so in the time it was carrying the GPS collar.

In 2010 when I had the DS103 tag, I got with a friend of mine that had a plane and we flew before the season started (late July) around an area I had some good intel on. Flew all over that area. Didn't see any sheep. Not one. So we crossed that area off our list and ended up going to a different area mostly in the blind where we found a couple of nice rams on the second day of our hunt. Had it not been for checking out that first area, we would have flown in there and probably found no sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    In 2010 when I had the DS103 tag, I got with a friend of mine that had a plane and we flew before the season started (late July) around an area I had some good intel on. Flew all over that area. Didn't see any sheep. Not one. So we crossed that area off our list and ended up going to a different area mostly in the blind where we found a couple of nice rams on the second day of our hunt. Had it not been for checking out that first area, we would have flown in there and probably found no sheep.
    Oh....but that was so very wrong of you. What a terribly unethical thing to do!!!........lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh....but that was so very wrong of you. What a terribly unethical thing to do!!!........lol
    Yeah, I got over that pretty quick....

I thought the no scouting from a plane started on August 10th, so it's all good this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, you can't scout during the season from the air. Nothing against scouting before the season. Also, you can still fly over sheep area on your way in/out of camp, to support a camp, pick up meat, etc. But you better not look out the window while flying!!! lol And if you do, make sure there isn't a trooper super cup or chooper behind you with his lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    But you better not look out the window while flying!!! lol And if you do, make sure there isn't a trooper super cup or chooper behind you with his lights on.