Thread: Chilkat or Chillkoot Fishing

Default Chilkat or Chillkoot Fishing

Going to be in Haines in about a week and heard that you can do pretty well for Sockeyes on the ChilKAT river. I hvae been there a few times and have seen the guys fishing out in the pools by the ChilKOOT but have never seen how people fish the ChilKAT. So I was hoping someone who has fished down there before might suggest where/how to get to the fishing areas of the river and perhaps some style/lure suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I fished the chilkoot on the fourth of july and did ok. Everyone seemed to fish the same area near the outlet of the lake for dollies. I didn't see one sockeye caught, but the weir counts looked pretty good at that time - I'm sure you could call a biologist to see what the counts have been the last few days.
    I can't imagine rod n reel fishing the chilkat with how big it is (and being glacial), but there were fish wheels in it when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Going to be in Haines in about a week and heard that you can do pretty well for Sockeyes on the ChilKAT river. I hvae been there a few times and have seen the guys fishing out in the pools by the ChilKOOT but have never seen how people fish the ChilKAT. So I was hoping someone who has fished down there before might suggest where/how to get to the fishing areas of the river and perhaps some style/lure suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Koot fish ware to bridge, I was there last week.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Do you fish the Chillkoot for Sockeye the same way you woudl fish the Kenai or Russian? On the ADFG website they had a good report for sockeyes on the Chillkoot and provided two links to "Successful fishing techniques for sockeye" (https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/Fishi...ail&Area_key=3) but both links were talking mostly about flossing on the Kenai (link 1) and the other was the much talked about floosing on the Klutina youtube video. Regardless so I can best prep my gear anyone know how to fish for salmon on the ChilKoot. Also while we are at if if you have any recommendations for dolly varden fishing on that same stretch that woudl be appreciated. I was just trying for Dollies here in Juneau but the Chums were so thick on Sheep Creek that I couldn't get any lure past them to even wonder if dollies were in there.